News & Announcements
2022 K-12 SOL Institutes in English Language Arts - REGISTRATION OPEN!
K-12 SOL Conferences in English Language Arts utilize a train-the-trainer model featuring demonstrations by classroom practitioners, reading specialists, school and division administrators, higher education partners, the Virginia Literacy Partnerships Office (PALS), and the VDOE Office of Student Assessment. Presenters will provide professional development that focuses on continued implementation of engaging instruction that aligns to the 2017 Standards of Learning and Curriculum Framework. Elementary topics will focus on early reading and writing instruction, utilizing grade level texts, building background, vocabulary, oral language, and advanced phonemic awareness and morphology. Secondary sessions will highlight instructional practices that demonstrate purposeful integration of reading and writing, the impact of disciplinary literacy on comprehension and postsecondary opportunities, explicit application of building grammatical concepts essentials for reading and writing, and strategies for engaging in critical thinking and communication. Register today!
Spring 2023 Field Test Information: New Assessment Item Type for Reading
The Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) is developing a new assessment item type for the grades 5, 8, and end-of-course (EOC) Standards of Learning (SOL) reading tests to support the focus on integrating reading and writing instruction to build student literacy. Information about the spring 2023 field test for this new item type is provided in Superintendent’s Memo #177-22-This is a PDF document., published on August 12, 2022. Resources to support preparation for this field test are provided on the SOL Practice Items page and the English SOL page of the VDOE website.
Virginia Literacy Act
With the passage of the Virginia Literacy Act (VLA) in the 2022 General Assembly, Virginia is taking the lead nationwide to improve early literacy outcomes for Virginia’s young learners. Through the VLA, the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) will support school divisions through a multi-year effort with tools, resources, technical assistance and funding.
2021 K-12 SOL Conferences in English Language Arts
Materials from the 2021 K-12 SOL Conferences in English Language Arts are now available! K-12 SOL Conferences in English Language Arts utilize a train-the-trainer model to provide professional development that focuses on continued implementation of engaging instruction that aligns to the 2017 Standards of Learning and Curriculum Framework.
VDOE English Professional Development Packages: Development on Demand
Professional development materials, links, and presentations have been bundled for optional professional development activities. Visit VDOE English Professional Development Packages: Development on Demand for resources sorted by topic.
Assessment Supports for Literacy
Registration links and presentation materials for Assessment Supports Literacy Webinar Series are now available.
VDOE Comprehensive Literacy Webinars
Comprehensive Literacy Webinar Series sessions focus on best practices in literacy instruction and resources available to school divisions.
Local Performance Assessments to Verify Credit in Writing
Support materials for the use of local performance assessments to verify credit in writing can be found following the Standards of Learning Documents for English.
Comprehensive Literacy: English Instructional Plans
Instructional plans that align with the 2017 SOL are available below.
Standards of Learning Documents for English
- The Standards of Learning and Curriculum Framework comprise the English language arts content that teachers in Virginia are expected to teach and students are expected to learn.
- Test blueprints provide information on how SOL assessments are constructed.
Standards of Learning
Standards of Learning (SOL) Test Blueprints
Resources for Instruction & Assessment
Local Performance Assessments to Verify Credits in Writing
- Guidelines for the Use of Local Performance Assessments to Verify Credits in Writing-This is a Word document.
- Verified Credit Plan: End-of-Course Writing-This is a Word document. - Fillable form, effective August, 2021
- Common Rubric for High School Writing Samples-This is a Word document. - aligns with the 2017 English Standards of Learning
- High School Writing Rubric-This is a Word document. - aligns with the 2017 English Standards of Learning
- Sample Writing Tasks that could be used for the Body of Evidence to Verify Credits in Writing-This is a Word document.
- Understand Scoring
- Performance Level Descriptors 2017-This is a Word document.
- Virginia Board of Education Guidelines for the Use of Local Performance Assessments to Verify Credits in Writing: Implementation Support-This is a Word document. Effective Fall, 2019- guidance for administering and scoring the local performance assessments used to verify credits in writing
- Implementation Support for 2018–2019 in the Use of Local Performance Assessments to Verify Credits in Writing-This is a Word document. - guidance for administering and scoring the local performance assessments used to verify credits in writing
- Procedures for Determining if Verified Credit is Awarded (effective fall 2020)-This is a Word document.
- Evaluating Collections of Evidence to Award Verified Credit in Writing
Integrated Reading and Writing (Field Test Information)
Assessment materials, including practice items, to support preparation for the field test are available for grade 5, grade 8, and EOC students on the SOL Practice Items page of the VDOE website.
- Instructional rubrics: These rubrics are designed to support classroom instruction for the 2017 English SOL.
- Grade 5 Writing-This is a Word document.
- Grade 8 Writing-This is a Word document. - UPDATED
- Common Rubric for High School Writing Samples-This is a Word document.
- Scoring rubrics: These rubrics are aligned to the 2017 English SOL and will be used to score the written response for the new assessment item type.
- Upper Elementary Scoring Rubric-This is a Word document. - This is the same rubric used to score local alternative assessments in grade 5 writing.
- Middle School Scoring Rubric (Updated)-This is a Word document.- This rubric is aligned to the 2017 English SOL. This rubric is different from the Grade 8 Writing Rubric used to score the Writing SOL tests that measure the 2010 English SOL.
- High School Writing Rubric-This is a Word document. - This is the same rubric used to score local performance assessments that are used to verify credits in writing.
- Checklist for Writers: The Checklist for Writers will be provided as an Exhibit in the online test delivery system on the item that presents a writing prompt, or an “invitation to write,” that is based on the accompanying nonfiction passage.
Standards of Learning
Resources for Instruction & Assessment
|Standards of Learning (SOL) Tests||Virginia Modified
Word | PDF
Computer Adaptive Testing – Includes CAT informational videos and resources
SOL Practice Items in TestNav 8 – Provide examples of the new content
and increased rigor of the 2010 English SOL
Using Statewide SOL Test Results to Guide Instruction – Examples of challenging SOL content based on statewide results
Online Writing Resources – teaching strategies and lesson plans, video links, SOL progression charts, graphic organizers, and resource links.
English Standards of Learning Crosswalk Between the 2010 and 2002 Standards (PDF) – provides detail on additions, deletions and changes included in the 2002 English SOL.
Word | PDF
|Grade 3*||Grade 5||NA|
|Grade 4||Grade 4*||NA|
|Grade 5||Grade 5**||NA|
|Grade 6||Grades 6-8
Word | PDF
|Grade 6***||Grade 8||NA|
|Grade 7||Grade 7***||NA|
|Grade 8||Grade 8***||NA|
|Grade 9||Grades 9-12
Word | PDF
|End of Course (EOC)||End of Course (EOC)||NA|
Standards of Learning Tests for the 2020-2021 School Year
* Document revised July 2016
** Document revised January 2017
*** Document revised July 2017
English Performance Expectations define the level of achievement students must reach to be academically prepared for success in entry-level credit-bearing college courses. The expectations were developed through the College & Career Readiness Initiative – a process that involved faculty from Virginia's two- and four-year colleges and universities, members of the business community and high school educators.
- College & Career Ready Performance Expectations (PDF)
- English Capstone Course Information
- Correlation of Virginia’s English Performance Expectations with Virginia’s 2010 English Standards of Learning (PDF)
Virginia's 2010 English Standards of Learning and the Common Core State Standards for English/Language Arts
- Comparison of Virginia’s 2010 English Standards of Learning with the Common Core State Standards for English/Language Arts (PDF)
- More about the Standards of Learning and the Common Core State Standards
- The National Clearinghouse for English Language Acquisition (NCELA) collects, coordinates and conveys a broad range of research and resources in support of an inclusive approach to high quality education for English language learners (ELLs).
- English Standards of Learning and related resources for the SOL adopted in 2002.
- All English (Word) | (PDF)
- Kindergarten (Word) | (PDF)
- Grade 1 (Word) | (PDF)
- Grade 2 (Word) | (PDF)
- Grade 3 (Word) | (PDF)
- Grade 4 (Word) | (PDF)
- Grade 5 (Word) | (PDF)
- Grade 6 (Word) | (PDF)
- Grade 7 (Word) | (PDF)
- Grade 8 (Word) | (PDF)
- 9-12 English (Word) | (PDF)
- Grade 3 (Reading and Writing)
- Grade 5: Reading/Literature and Research
- Grade 5: Writing
- Grade 8: Reading/Literature and Research
- Grade 8: Writing
- EOC: Reading/Literature and Research (Grade 9-12)
- EOC: Writing (Grade 9-12)
English Instructional Resources aligned to 2002 English SOL
- Elementary School Resources
- Middle School Resources
- High School Resources
- English as a Second Language