Training & Resources
To assist school nutrition managers, program directors and supervisors, the VDOE provides productivity and efficiency tools as well as a variety of training, technical assistance, and professional development opportunities.
Training Videos (eLearning)
The VDOE Office of School Nutrition Programs (SNP) offers the following training videos via the Articulate e-learning platform, Rise.com. To view the videos and receive certificates of completion, you must be an enrolled learner in the Rise.com platform. To enroll, please email the VDOE-SNP Training and Marketing Specialist at firstname.lastname@example.org and provide your name, email address, and school division/education site.
- April 1 ISP Data Collection and Reporting
- CACFP Grain Ounce Equivalents and Recipe Analysis Workbook Training Video
- Civil Rights Training Video
- New! Local School Wellness Policy: Completing the Triennial Assessment Video
- New! Verification of School Meal Applications Video
Summer Manager Workshop (2018)
- Cafe-Classroom Connections Video
- Cafe-Classroom Connections Transcript-This is a Word document.
- Cafe-Classroom Connections Instructor Guide-This is a Word document.
- Cafe-Classroom Connections Participant Workbook-This is a Word document.
- Culinary Weights and Measures
- Culinary Weights and Measures Transcript-This is a Word document.
- Culinary Weights and Measures Instructor Guide-This is a Word document.
- Culinary Weights and Measures Participant Workbook-This is a Word document.
- Customer Service and Conflict Resolution Video
- Customer Service and Conflict Resolution Transcript-This is a Word document.
- Customer Service and Conflict Resolution Instructor Guide-This is a Word document.
- Customer Service and Conflict Resolution Participant Workbook-This is a Word document.
- Leadership and Team Building Video
- Leadership and Team Building Transcript-This is a Word document.
- Leadership and Team Building Instructor Guide-This is a Word document.
- Leadership and Team Building Participant Workbook-This is a Word document.
- Introduction to the Summer Food Service Program Video
Team Nutrition Series
- Procurement 101, Procurement Profiles
- Procurement in the 21st Century Resource Manual, Institute of Child Nutrition, 2015
- Procuring Local Foods for Child Nutrition Programs, USDA, 2015
- Data-Driven Decision Making with Key Performance Indicators
- Key Performance Indicators for School Nutrition Success, Institute of Child Nutrition, 2018
- Civil Rights Training Presentation (2021)-This is a PPT presentation.
- Civil Rights Training Record Sample-This is a Word document.
Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program
Local School Wellness Policy and Triennial Assessment
Each local education agency participating in the National School Lunch Program (NSLP) and/or the School Breakfast Program (SBP) must develop a Wellness Policy. The Wellness Policy provides schools with structure and guidance to promote student wellness, prevent childhood obesity, and assure that school meals and other foods and beverages sold are consistent with applicable minimum federal standards.
At least once every three years, LEAs are required to complete an assessment of the Wellness Policy, post the assessment publicly, and update the Wellness Policy based on the assessment results. (7 CFR§ 210.31) Due to COVID-19, Virginia has elected to utilize a USDA waiver extension for the triennial assessment which provides a revised first triennial assessment deadline of June 30, 2021, allowing necessary flexibility from the original deadline of June 30, 2020. Accordingly, all LEAs are required to complete their first assessment by June 30, 2021.
Below are resources intended to assist LEAs with the development/enhancement of their wellness policies and the completion of the triennial assessment. For questions concerning wellness policies or the triennial assessment, please contact VDOE Wellness Policy Specialist, Laura Burns, via email at email@example.com.
- Wellness Policy Checklist-This is a Word document.
- Model Wellness Policy-This is a Word document.
- Wellness Policy Template-This is a Word document.
- Wellness Policy Guidance Document-This is a Word document.
- Fundraiser Tracking Tool-This is a Word document.
- Triennial Assessment Template-This is a Word document.
- Triennial Assessment Worksheet-This is a Word document.
- Triennial Assessment School Level Report Card-This is a Word document.
- Triennial Assessment Example-This is a Word document.
- Superintendent's Memo #020-21, Triennial Assessment of the Local School Wellness Policy-This is a Word document.
Nutrition Standards in School Meals
- See related Regulation requirements, guidance and the required USDA Certifiction tools.
- Making Healthy Changes for Healthy Children and Healthy Choices – New Meal Pattern Training Resource. This is training on the New meal pattern targeted to the school nutrition managers and staff. Two training modules from the 2012 Summer Managers Workshops provide training opportunities for school nutrition program staff.
- Module 1: Understanding the New Meal Pattern – This module covers the school lunch meal pattern changes initiated in 2012-2013 under the Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010.”
- Module 2: Offer vs. Serve – How to implement Offer vs. Serve with the New School Meals (2012) – This module covers the implementation of Offer versus Serve under the meal pattern requirements initiated in 2012-2013.
- Resources for Recognizing Reimbursable Meals
- Build a Healthy Meal
- Offer vs. Serve Poster (PDF)
- Identifying a Reimbursable Meal Flyer
- Daily Menu Components Flyer
- Build a Healthy Meal
Nutrition Standards for Competitive Foods and Fundraisers
The Virginia Regulations Governing Nutritional Standards for Competitive Foods Available for Sale in the Public Schools became effective on October 18, 2017. The following resources include information and guidance related to these standards.
- Play webinar recording-This is an MP4 document followed by a transcript of this webinar. – Webinar Transcript-This is a Word document.
- PowerPoint presentation-This is a PPT document followed by an accessible Word version. – Accessible Alternative Version of Presentation-This is a Word document.
For the complete regulations, please see Superintendent’s Memo 291-17 and Attachment A: Regulations Governing Nutritional Standards for Competitive Foods-This is a Word document..
- Local Wellness Policy Guidelines for Implementing the State Regulations on Competitive Foods-This is a Word document.
- Fundraisers 101 and Smart Snacks Guidelines-This is a Word document.: Consistent nutrition messages and promoting healthy choices are important components of student wellness. Schools are encouraged to consider non-food fundraisers, such as a 5K walk or read-a-thon, to raise money for school organizations.
- Healthy Fundraiser Snapshots (National PTA)-This is a Word document.
- USDA Healthy Fundraiser Resources
- Exempt Fundraiser Tracking Tool Sample-This is a XLS document.
- Exempt Fundraiser Permit Sample-This is a Word document.
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)-This is a Word document.
- Alliance for a Healthier Generation Resources
School nutrition programs and others using federal or state funds for purchases must follow all required procurement regulations. The VDOE does not endorse or promote the Alliance for a Healthier Generation online store.
Productivity & Efficiency Tools
- Essential KPI Interactive Spreadsheet available in the Financial Management for Directors section of the Institute of Child Nutrition (ICN) website
- USDA Non-Program Revenue Calculator Tool (XLS)
- How to Determine a Time Standard for a Food Production Task-This is a Word document.
- Master Production Schedule Template-This is an excel spreadsheet.
- Daily Production Schedule Template-This is an excel spreadsheet.
- Weekly Cleaning Schedule Template-This is an excel spreadsheet.
- Service Line Schedule Template-This is an excel spreadsheet.
- Just-in-time Food Preparation Example-This is a Word document.
- Loss-per-Portion/Cost of Over-Serving Chart-This is an excel spreadsheet.
- Inventory Control Self Evaluation-This is an excel spreadsheet.
- Factors that Affect the Number of Labor Hours Needed-This is a Word document.
- Cost of Time Wasted/Lost-Labor Productivity-This is an excel spreadsheet.
Standardized Recipe Resources
- Standardized Recipe Checklist-This is a Word document.
- Standardized Recipe Style Guide-This is a Word document.
- Standardized Recipe Template-This is a Word document.
Summer Food Service Program (SFSP)
- SFSP Application Procedure – resources are from the April 2018 Training Webinar.
Virginia Farm to School
In-Person Training Opportunities
- New Director Academy Phase I – Onsite visit with the newly-appointed school nutrition director/supervisor and the assigned school nutrition programs regional specialist.
- New Director Academy Phase II – In-person workshop offered biannually at the VDOE to newly-appointed school nutrition directors/supervisors to provide an orientation to school nutrition program roles, responsibilities, and management.
- New DirectorAcademy Phase III – A follow-up workshop that provides school nutrition directors/supervisors with an opportunity to discuss specific issues in their programs.
Regional Director's Meetings
Annual fall and spring meetings for school nutrition directors/supervisors that are facilitated regionally by the assigned school nutrition programs regional specialist(s).
Summer Manager Workshops
Annual workshops for Virginia school cafeteria managers offered in multiple locations across the Commonwealth during June, July and August. Managers receive five hours of professional development, which is required annually by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
Team Nutrition Training Program
In 2017, VDOE was awarded a USDA Team Nutrition Training Grant (TNTG) in the amount of $498,010 for the purpose of developing and implementing a training program for Virginia school nutrition professionals. Over the course of the three-year grant period (2017-2020), the VDOE Office of School Nutrition will provide targeted training to school nutrition staff across all eight Superintendent's regions. Below is an overview of the training program for each year of the grant period:
- Target Audience: School Nutrition Directors
- Training Delivery: Two-day workshops hosted in all eight Superintendent's Regions
- Training Topics: Farm to School, Menu Planning and Development, Nutrition Education and Physical Activity Promotion, Community Outreach and Engagement, Culinary Skills, and Strategic Planning
- Target Audience: School Nutrition Directors
- Training Delivery: Four eModules (online videos) followed by one-day workshops hosted in four Superintendent's Regions as part of the Office of School Nutrition's Annual Fall Regional Meetings
- Training Topics: Procurement (written procurement procedures and procuring local foods with procurement profiles), Financial Management, and Key Performance Indicators
- Target Audience #1: School Nutrition Directors
- Training Delivery: Two-day conference in April 2020
- Training Topics: Farm to School, Procurement, Culinary Skills, Menu Planning and Development, Nutrition Education, and Marketing and Community Outreach
- Target Audience #2: Chefs and Food Service Leads
- Training Delivery: One-day workshop in March 2020
- Training Topics: Menu Planning and Development, Culinary Skills, Incorporating Local Seasonal Foods, and Production Schedules
- Target Audience #3: Menu Planners, Dietitians, Nutrition/Wellness Educators, and Marketing Staff
- Training Delivery: One-day workshop in March 2020
- Training Topics: Menu Planning and Development, Incorporating Local Seasonal Foods, Nutrition Education, and Marketing and Community Outreach
- USDA Team Nutrition Healthy Schools
- USDA Team Nutrition Resource Library
- Accommodating Children with Special Dietary Needs in School Nutrition Programs
- Eligibility Manual for School Meals
- Biosecurity Checklist for School Foodservice Programs: Developing a Biosecurity Management Plan
- Guidance for School Food Authorities: Developing a School Food Safety Program Based on the Process Approach to HACCP Principles
- School Nutrition Association
- School Nutrition Association of Virginia
- Society for Nutrition Education
- 2020-2025 Dietary Guidelines for Americans
- USDA MyPlate
- Institute of Child Nutrition