The mission of the Breakfast Club is to ensure equitable access to good, healthy food in Virginia school breakfast programs.
The Breakfast Club is a collaboration of nutrition and equity professionals from multiple Virginia sectors including non-profit organizations, government agencies, and school nutrition directors from across the state. The shared goal is to promote recommendations and best practices to improve the nutritional quality of school breakfast. The Breakfast Club was initiated in 2019 as a subgroup of the No Kid Hungry Virginia Breakfast Stakeholders. The collaboration has developed into quarterly meetings to build partnerships, promote breakfast celebrations, and advocate for best practices
The group focuses on relieving the barrier of hunger for students to focus on learning. Each Breakfast Club meeting works towards the Virginia Department of Education’s goal to achieve 70 percent average daily school breakfast participation among free and reduced students compared to school lunch participation. The Breakfast Club's best practices address: removing barriers to breakfast access, increasing consumption of high quality protein foods, reducing consumption of sugar, and increasing participation by providing new, innovative menu items.
Virginia School Breakfast Award
Virginia School Breakfast Award to recognize schools achieving success in school breakfast and to provide recipient schools with promotional items for National School Breakfast Week.
2022 Virginia School Breakfast Awardees
- Brumfield Elementary School, Fauquier County Public Schools
- Landstown High School, Virginia Beach City Public Schools
- Manchester Middle School, Chesterfield County Public Schools
- Rappahannock County Elementary School, Rappahannock County Public Schools
- Rock Ridge High School, Loudoun County Public Schools
2021 Virginia School Breakfast Awardees
- Read Mountain Middle School, Botetourt County Public Schools
- St. Paul School, Carroll County Public Schools
- Hopkins Road Elementary School, Chesterfield County Public Schools
- Sycamore Park Elementary School, Culpeper County Public Schools
- Northside Middle School, Norfolk City Public Schools
- Orange Elementary School, Orange County Public Schools
- School Nutrition Association’s National School Breakfast Week Information
- USDA’s School Breakfast Program Overview and Fact Sheets
- USDA’s School Breakfast Materials for Nutrition Professionals, Families, and Teachers
- No Kid Hungry Implementing Breakfast After the Bell
- Institute of Child Nutrition’s Recipe Box