School Health Services
School health programs in Virginia public schools support the physical and emotional well-being of students through school nursing services, health education covering a range of developmentally appropriate topics and other services that promote a healthy learning environment.
Use the menu to the right to navigate to the sub-sections of this topic:
- School Health Guidance and Resources
- School Nurse Professional Development – A School Health Services Resource from the Virginia Department of Education
- School Health Advisory Boards (SHAB) – Each Virginia public school board establishes a school health advisory board consisting of representation from parents, students, health professionals, educators and others.
- Medicaid & Schools – School divisions can submit reimbursement claims to Medicaid for some services provided to students.
The Virginia Department of Education has provided schools with resources to assist schools in completing this school health workforce initiative.
- School-Based Health Workforce Grant-This is a PDF document. - Superintendent's Memorandum #085-22, April 22, 2022
- School-Based Health Workforce Grant Application Packet-This is a Word document.
- School-Based Health Workforce Grant Application Sample Work Plan-This is a Word document.
- School-Based Health Workforce Grant Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)-This is a Word document.
Instead of the text highlighted below, please use: There will be an informational webinar on the School-Based Health Workforce Grant (Zoom link), May 6, 2022, at 10 a.m. To call in, dial 877 853 5257 and use Meeting ID: 817 5120 6756 and Passcode: 422182.
For additional information and/or questions regarding the School-Based Health Workforce Grant, please email the Workforce Grant Team at SchoolHealthServicesWorkforce.email@example.com.
School Entrance Requirements
- School Entrance Physical Examination Requirements-This is a Word document.
- The VDH Commonwealth of Virginia School Entrance Health Form (MCH213G) is now available for use in an online fillable format on the School Health website.
COVID-19 vaccines are now approved and available for children ages 5 and older. Learn where to find a free shot at Vaccinate.Virginia.gov or call 1-877-VAX-IN VA. Monday-Friday 8am - 6pm. Virginia Relay users dial 7-1-1.
¿Necesitas vacunarte? Enterate como conseguir tu vacuna Vaccinate.Virginia.gov o llamando al 1-877-829-4682. lunes-sábado 8am a 6pm. Virginia Relay pueden marcar al 7-1-1.