2022 Model Policies on the Privacy, Dignity, and Respect for All Students and Parents in Virginia’s Public Schools
News & Announcements
2022 Model Policies on the Privacy, Dignity, and Respect for All Students and Parents in Virginia’s Public Schools-This is a PDF document.
VDOE is replacing the 2021 Model Policies for the Treatment of Transgender Students in Public Elementary and Secondary Schools with model policies that support positive and safe learning environments for all students while respecting the rights and values of parents. Public comment on the draft model policies will open September 26, 2022, on the Virginia Regulatory Town Hall website.
2021 Model Policies for the Treatment of Transgender Students in Public Elementary and Secondary Schools
In response to House Bill 145 and Senate Bill 161 that were enacted by the 2020 Virginia General Assembly, the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) developed Model Policies for the Treatment of Transgender Students in Public Elementary and Secondary Schools-This is a Word document..
Pursuant to § 22.1-23.3 of the Code of Virginia, local school boards shall adopt policies consistent with these model policies by the beginning of the 2021-2022 school year.
- The Department of Education shall develop and make available to each school board model policies concerning the treatment of transgender students in public elementary and secondary schools that address common issues regarding transgender students in accordance with evidence-based best practices and include information, guidance, procedures, and standards relating to:
- Compliance with applicable nondiscrimination laws;
- Maintenance of a safe and supportive learning environment free from discrimination and harassment for all students;
- Prevention of and response to bullying and harassment;
- Maintenance of student records;
- Identification of students;
- Protection of student privacy and the confidentiality of sensitive information;
- Enforcement of sex-based dress codes; and
- Student participation in sex-specific school activities, events, and use of school facilities.
Activities and events do not include athletics:
- Each school board shall adopt policies that are consistent with but may be more comprehensive than the model policies developed by the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) pursuant to subsection A."