Support Services/Facility Construction & Maintenance
News & Announcements
- The Virginia Public School Authority (VPSA) issued $12 million in equipment notes in conjunction with the existing Virginia Public School Authority technology notes program. Proceeds of these additional notes will be used to help offset related local costs associated with the purchasing of qualifying security equipment to improve and help ensure the safety of students attending public schools in Virginia. Refer to 2022-2023 School Security Equipment Grants Program Application - Superintendent's Memo 124-22-This is a PDF document..
- Frequency of Fire Drills and Lock-Down Drills - Refer to Superintendent’s Memo #228-21-This is a PDF document.
- Water Testing - See Superintendent’s Memo #171-17
- Radon Testing - See Superintendent's Memo #131-14
How VDOE helps
There are currently more than 1,800 public school buildings serving Virginia's K-12 students. The issues involved in providing and planning adequate school facilities are complex and require thoughtful consideration. To plan and construct school buildings that meet today's educational needs, are easy to maintain and are economical to build is an important and difficult task.
VDOE provides leadership and technical services to Virginia's public school facilities in the following areas:
- School facility planning
- Guidelines for school facilities
- Energy efficiency and high performance school buildings
- School construction cost data
- Facility conferences
- School safety and security
- Playground safety
- School facility efficiency studies
- Resources and information