English Language Learners
Educators of English Learners must follow requirements under both the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) Title 3, Virginia special education regulations, and local policies or procedures.
The Regulations Governing Special Education Programs for Children with Disabilities in Virginia address requirements for evaluation and eligibility decision making as well as related services decision making by the student’s Individualized Education Program (IEP) team. Additional requirements from ESEA Title 3 must also be considered.
Guidance & Technical Assistance Documents
- English Learner (EL) Tool Kit
- Newcomer Toolkit
- VDOE One Page Briefs (New!)
- Special Education Coordinators
Refer to English Learner Education for:
- English Learner Instruction Professional Development Framework
- VDOE Handbook for ELs with Disabilities
- Content Specific Resources (Math, English Language Arts, History and Social Sciences, and Fine Arts)