The Office of Media Relations is available to assist the news media with information to accurately report on issues involving Virginia's public education system, the Virginia Department of Education and the Virginia Board of Education.
News releases and educational releases issued by VDOE and the Governor’s Office are available.
Sign up to Receive VDOE News Releases
Education reporters are encouraged to contact the director of communications to receive electronic news releases and media alerts.
- Charles Pyle, Director of Media Relations
Resources For The Media
- Standards of Accreditation: Impact on Schools & Impact on Students – Information detailing how the revised SOA impacts schools (school accountability, school-quality indicators, accreditation ratings) and students (requirements for graduation).
- School Accreditation – Information briefly explaining the indicators and performance levels that will go into determining a school’s accreditation rating.
- Graduation Requirements – Information briefly explaining graduation requirements for students entering the ninth grade in fall 2018 (Class of 2022).
- Accreditation & Federal Reports
- Board Meetings – includes dates, agendas, minutes and summaries
- Board of Education Annual Reports – The Board of Education reports annually to the governor and General Assembly on the condition and needs of Virginia’s public schools.
- Historical Overview of the Standards of Learning Program (1998-2013)-This is a Word document. – Brief history of the origin and development of the Standards of Learning program
- Education Legislation – includes legislative tracking reports and information on previous years’ General Assembly bills and resolutions related to education
- Glossary of terms related to public education in Virginia
- Graduation, Completion & Dropout Data
- Public School Division Openings and Waivers
- School Division Efficiency Reviews
- School Division Locale Descriptions Excel Format | PDF Format
- Calendars 2020-2021 Excel Format | PDF Format
- School Quality Profiles (online report cards for schools and school divisions)
- Virginia is for Learners is the Commonwealth’s campaign to enhance the value of a high school diploma so that every child who earns one is truly ready to learn, work and thrive in the economy of the future. Watch the Virginia is for Learners playlist to learn more.