Multidivision Online Provider Program (Mop)
As provided in § 22.1-212.23 et seq., the Code of Virginia allows school divisions to offer online instruction to students using a private organization, educational institution or nonprofit virtual school organization that meets Board of Education approval criteria to operate as a MOP. Entities seeking MOP approval from the Board of Education should review the instructions and approval process found on the Online Provider Application web page.
MOPs supply virtual teachers coupled with online content to K-12 students. Providers may offer one course or a full array of courses as an online course or program provider contracted with a local school division. Approved MOPs and a list of the courses that they are approved to provide may be accessed via this online query tool.
Application for Approval or Renewal as a Multidivision Online Provider
A multidivision online provider must must meet Board of Education approved criteria to operate.
- Multidivision Online Provider page – includes the criteria for multidivision online providers, application form, and renewal questionnaire.
A multidivision online provider must be accredited by one of the following Board of Education-approved agencies:
- AdvancEd (formerly Commission on International and Trans-Regional Accreditation [CITA], North Central Association Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement [NCA CASI], and Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Council on Accreditation and School Improvement [SACS CASI])
- Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Elementary Schools and Commission on Secondary Schools
- New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC)
- Northwest Accreditation Commission (NWAC) (formerly Northwest Association of Accredited Schools)
- Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
- Virginia Council for Private Education (VCPE)
VDOE Approved Multidivision Online Providers
- Multidivision Online Provider List or Provider Summary Reports – create a report that includes course offerings for individual approved multidivision online providers.
The following links are to external websites not associated with the Virginia Department of Education.
Search For MOP Courses Using Learn24VA.
- Accelerate Education
- Apex Learning
- BYU Independent Study
- Chesterfield County Public Schools – CCPS Online
- EdOptions Academy (Edmentum, Inc.)
- Edgenuity – formerly known as Education 2020
- Edison Learning, Inc.
- Florida Virtual School
- Founders Education
- Fuel Education
- K12 Virtual Schools, LLC
- Middleton Academy – formerly Milburn Online
- My Virtual Academy
- Nextide Academy
- OdysseyWare Academy – formerly known as Glynlyon-OdysseyWare
- Proximity Learning, Inc.
- RISE Hybrid Academy
- The Virtual High School
- York County School Division
For School Divisions:
- Local Division Model Policies and Procedures-This is a Word document.
- Best Practice Considerations for Divisions Using Online Schools-This is a Word document.
- Online Teaching Methodology – 60-hour professional development online course, available through WHRO's Consortium for Interactive Instruction to Virginia educators, provides training to those interested in serving as online instructors or course developers for online learning. Other WHRO Education online professional development opportunities also are available.
- Vision for Virtual School Programs in Virginia-This is a Word document.
- Key Responsibilities of Various Stakeholders-This is a Word document.
- Employment of Teachers to Provide Online Instruction – Superintendent's Memo 081-19-This is a Word document. – Clarification on the employment of licensed teachers to teach virtual courses to public school students.
For Students & Parents:
Students and parents should consult with the guidance staff at the local school the student attends or will be attending prior to enrolling in any course(s) offered by a multidivision online provider.
Questions regarding the multidivision online provider application process should be directed to Meg Foley, Virtual Learning Specialist, 804-786-0877.