News & Announcements
2022 Physical Education Standards of Learning
On January 17, 2022, the Virginia Board of Education approved and adopted the proposed revisions to the 2015 Physical Education Standards of Learning. The 2022 Physical Education Standards of Learning were developed through numerous phases of meetings convened with Virginia educators, college professors, and other passionate stakeholders. The proposed standards reflect a comprehensive review of the standards, expertise of diverse constituents, include edits to enhance clarity, specificity, rigor, alignment of skills and content, and reflect current academic research and practice. The updated standards support a planned sequential K-12 standards-based program of study designed to develop motor skills, knowledge, and behaviors of healthy active living, physical fitness, sportsmanship, and self-efficacy to achieve the goals of becoming knowledgeable and skillful movers who value and adopt a physically active, healthy lifestyle and understand the science behind physical movement.
On August 17, 2022, the Virginia Board of Education approved and adopted the 2022 Physical Education Standards of Learning Curriculum Framework. The layout of the 2022 Curriculum Framework was reformatted to provide internal consistency with curriculum frameworks for other disciplines, such as the recently adopted 2022 Health Education Standards of Learning Curriculum Framework. Changing the layout of the proposed curriculum framework significantly changed the content. However, a dynamic Technical Assistance Guide that mirrors the format of the 2015 Physical Educational Standard of Learning Curriculum Framework will be maintained to bridge the transition to the new layout, broaden the scope of the 2022 Physical Education Standard of Learning Curriculum Framework, and be periodically updated to include emerging best practice resources for the Physical Educational Standard of Learning within the seven-year review cycle.
Questions about the newly adopted standards and curriculum frameworks should be directed to Vanessa.Wigand@doe.virginia.gov.
- Curriculum Frameworks
Physical education provides students with the knowledge, processes, and skills to become physically educated, physically fit and responsible in their physical activity choices and behaviors for a lifetime. Virginia's standards for physical education are grouped into five strands: skilled movement, movement principles and concepts, personal fitness, responsible behaviors and physically active lifestyle. The standards in each strand are sequenced to progress in complexity from grade level to grade level.
- 2022 Physical Education Standard of Learning Technical Assistance Guide-This is a Word document.
- Physical Education Program Guidelines for Public Elementary and Middle Schools (PDF)
- Nutrition & Physical Activity Best Practices Database – Includes results of wellness-related fitness testing, as well as information on successful programs and policies implemented by local school divisions designed to improve nutrition and physical activity in the public schools.
- Bicycle Safety
- Health Smart Virginia - Sample Lesson Plans and Instructional Resources
- Walk Smart, Virginia!
- Heart Healthy Resources for Schools: Nutrition and Physical Activitiy Guide (PDF)
- Governor's Physical Activity Awards Program brochure (PDF)
- Virginia's Wellness-Related Fitness Testing Program
- Guidelines for Policies on Concussions in Students-This is a Word document.
- Report: Fitness Data State Summaries
- Spring 2019-This is a PDF document.
- Spring 2018-This is a PDF document.
- Spring 2017-This is a PDF document.
- Spring 2016-This is a PDF document.
- Spring 2015 (PDF)
- Spring 2014 (PDF)
- Spring 2013 (PDF)
- Spring 2012 (PDF)
- Spring 2011 (PDF)
- Spring 2010 (PDF)
- Spring 2009 (PDF)
- Spring 2008 (PDF)
- Spring 2007 (PDF)
- Spring 2006 (PDF)
- Spring 2005 (PDF)
- Spring 2004 (PDF)
- Spring 2003 (PDF)
- Girls on the Run
- Physical Activity and Health: A Report of the Surgeon General
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency SunWise Program
- OPEN Physical Education Curriculum
- PE Central
- GOPHER Resources