Implementing the World Language SOL
The Virginia Board of Education adopted revised World Language Standards of Learning on March 18, 2021.
Recognizing that curriculum alignment efforts require planning, time, staff development, and resources, the Department of Education’s goal for the implementation schedule allows teachers to begin, in the fall of 2021, to focus instruction on the content in the newly revised World Language Standards of Learning.
School divisions should begin to:
- review and align their world language curricula with the revised standards;
- review current resource materials and correlate them with the revised stmko00andards;
- identify new materials where needed; and
- provide staff development for teachers as appropriate.
Resources for the 2021 World Language Standards of Learning
- 2021 World Language Standards of Learning-This is a Word document. - Accessible word document
- 2021 World Language Standards of Learning Grid-This is a PDF document. – Color-coded grid view of all standards and sample progress indicators for all proficiency levels novice-low to advanced-mid
Resources for the 2014 World Language Standards of Learning
The technical assistance documents included are intended to assist teachers with implementing the World Language SOL for Virginia Public Schools (revised 2014). The documents elaborate on the content strands that outline the knowledge, skills, and processes essential for language use and the standards of performance for each level of study in both modern world languages (Roman alphabet and non-Roman alphabet) and Latin. This elaboration includes relevant and useful resources, such as language-learning strategies and assessment strategies, that are appropriate for each strand and level of study.
Implementing the World Language Standards of Learning in Virginia Classrooms: A Guide for Teachers
- Introduction to Proficiency (PDF)
- Skills Progression Charts by SOL
- Modern World Languages: Roman Alphabet Languages
- Modern World Languages: Non-Roman Alphabet Languages
- Additional Resources (PDF)
- Glossary of Terms (PDF)