Through the use of leadership funds, the state provides opportunities throughout the commonwealth for professional development, technology and technical assistance, and state and regional networks of literacy centers.
Virginia Adult Learning Resource Center (VALRC)
The VALRC at Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) serves over 3,500 of Virginia's adult education administrators and practitioners annually. As a division of the Literacy Institute at VCU, the VALRC assists in the Institute's research and development projects and disseminates research-based best practices to the field. The VALRC offers on-site training sessions, web-based workshops and courses, a website that serves as a clearinghouse of adult education resources, a toll-free GED help-line, a listserv open to all adult education professionals, a quarterly newsletter, three monthly electronic newsletters, and a wide variety of printed and online publications.
Recorded Video Tutorials for Adult Educators
Data Collection, Reporting, and Monitoring
- Designing for and Reporting New Measurable Skill Gains (MSG) in Virginia – September 2021
- Assessment Data Entry or Adult Education Students Affected by COVID-related Program Closures – April 2020
- Understanding the NRS Tables Series – January 2020
These tutorials describe the National Reporting System (NRS) for Adult Education reporting tables and how student and program performance data is calculated and displayed.
- WIOA Common Performance Measures - November 2018
These three tutorials describe the WIOA common performance measures, how they are defined in the law and guidance, how they are collected and reported for title II.
Integrated Education and Training (IET)
- Integrated Education and Training: Technical Assistance Video – July 2020
This video discusses the elements and requirements of the Integrated Education and Training (IET) program and how the program is implemented in Virginia. This video was recorded jointly with staff from the VDOE, VCCS, and VALRC.
- IET Planning Tool – ADA Compliant Version-This is a Word document.
- IET Planning Tool – Original Version-This is a Word document.
- See the IETBlueprint.com site for a downloadable instructional blueprint and additional resources prepared by the Virginia Adult Learning Resource Center.
Program Leadership and Management
- Know Your Numbers: What Story Does Your HSE Data Tell?
- Early Education Workforce Presentation for Adult Educators-This is a PowerPoint Presentation.. (PPTX)
- Connecting Probationers to Adult Education in Virginia – October 2021
- A Look at Virginia’s Adult Education Programs in PY2020-2021 – October 2021
- Integrated English Literacy and Civics Education (IELCE) Grant: The Basics – August 2020
This recording shares the basics of grant management and allowable activities for the IELCE grant.
- Adult Education in Virginia 2018-2019 – November 2019
This recording shares the participant demographic and performance data reported by Virginia for program year 2018-2019.
- Reporting Statewide Business Services, 2019-2020 – October 2019
This recording describes the requirements of programs to report how they are serving businesses in the Commonwealth.
- The Role of Data in Program Design – March 2019
This video discusses the relationship between data and program design in adult education.
- Adult Education in Virginia 2017-2018 – November 2018
This recording shares the participant demographic and performance data reported by Virginia for program year 2017-2018.
- Reporting Career and Training Services - April 2018
This video reviews the Directors Memo #018-19, Revisions to Career and Training Services Reporting Guidance-This is a Word document. discussing how adult education program should track federal funds spent on these services.