Quality Measurement and Improvement (VQB5)
Virginia’s early childhood system must ensure that all children have quality teaching and learning experiences that meet their unique needs. To do this, Virginia has developed the Unified Virginia Quality Birth to Five System (VQB5) which recognizes the impact of every classroom, provides feedback to every educator, and supports all publicly funded birth-to-five programs to improve.
VQB5 is a measurement and improvement system that focuses on the quality of all publicly-funded birth-five classrooms and supports families to choose quality programming across different program types. VQB5 sets shared expectations for measuring quality and supporting teachers for all birth to five programs. Through VQB5, teachers and leaders will receive the feedback and support they need to help young children learn.
Timeline & Participation
In June 2021,the Board of Education approved the Guidelines for Practice Year 1 of the Early Childhood Unified Measurement and Improvement System.
In June 2022, the Board of Education approved Guidelines for Practice Year 2 of the Early Childhood Unified Measurement and Improvement System.
VDOE is currently working with a variety of stakeholders to implement and scale VQB5. This includes implementing two practice years as shown in the timeline below. All programs will have an opportunity to participate in at least one practice year.
- 2021-2022 - VQB5 Practice Year 1
- 2022-2023 - VQB5 Practice Year 2 (coordinated through Ready Regions)
- 2023-2024 - VQB5 Year 1
- All publicly-funded programs will be required to participate in VQB5 Year 1, with the first public ratings shared in the fall of 2024.
- If you are interested in participating in VQB5, please contact your Ready Regions lead-This is a PDF document..
Measuring & Improving Quality
VQB5 will measure the quality of infant, toddler and preschool teaching and learning based on two nationally-recognized quality indicators: Interactions and Curriculum.
An important feature of VQB5 is that measurement and improvement are connected and ongoing. VQB5 programs have many opportunities to reflect on their progress during the year using a continuous quality improvement cycle.
VQB5 Overview Resources
- VQB5 Overview-This is a Word document.
- VQB5 Overview - Spanish-This is a Word document.
- Virginia Quality Transition - Updated-This is a Word document.
- Participating in the Unified Measurement and Improvement Systems FAQ-This is a Word document.
- VQB5 Info Flyer 2022-2023-This is a PDF document.
- 2022 RecognizeB5 Info Flyer-This is a PDF document.
- RecognizeB5: Impact of the Incentive 2020-2022-This is a PDF document.
- VQB5 Practice Rating User Guide-This is a PDF document.
VQB5 Implementation Resources
- Practice Year 2 Implementation Guide-This is a Word document.
- Spanish - Practice Year 2 Implementation Guide-This is a Word document.
- Feedback Templates-This is a Word document. Infant, Toddler and PreK
- CLASS Resources for VQB5 programs
- Curriculum Resources for VQB5 programs
- CLASS and Curriculum Connections Infant/Toddler-This is a Word document. and PreK-This is a Word document.
- Local CLASS Observation Guidebook for Practice Year 2 (Word|PDF)
- VQB5 Coaching Services 2022-2023-This is a PDF document.
VQB5 Webinar Recordings
- September 7, 2022 - Summer Improvement Partner
- August 24, 2022 - Subsidy Vendor
- August 17, 2022 - ECSE Webinar
- August 10, 2022 - Local Observation Guidance
- Summer 2022 -VQB5 Information Session for VPI Programs
- Spring 2022 - Using CLASS to Strengthen Interactions Panel Discussion
- Spring 2022 - VQB5 Improvement Partner Spring Webinar
- Spring 2022 - Quality Matters: Practice Years Update
- Winter 2022 - VQB5 Improvement Partner Winter Webinar
- Fall 2021 - VQB5 Improvement Partner Fall Webinar
- Summer 2021 - Local CLASS Observation Guidance for VQB5 Practice Year 1
- Spring 2021 - Quality Matters Part 2 Recording
- Fall 2020 - Quality Matters Part 1 Recording
VA Quality Final Levels
To download and view VA Quality Final Levels as of June 30, 2022, please click here.