News & Announcements
School Readiness Regional Stakeholder Listening Sessions
On July 24, 2019, Governor Ralph Northam signed Executive Directive Four, which establishes the Executive Leadership Team on School Readiness. The directive also kicks off four regional stakeholder listening sessions headlined by the Commissioner of Virginia Department of Social Services and the Superintendent of Public Instruction. Dates and locations for listening sessions can be found below. Refer to the July 24, 2019 News Release for more information.
- Monday, August 12, 9:00 AM - Dominion Enterprises, 150 Granby Street, Norfolk, Virginia 23510
- Wednesday, August 14, 10:00 AM - ACCA Child Development Center, 7200 Columbia Pike, Suite 2, Annandale, Virginia 22003
- Thursday, August 15, 10:00 AM - Salem High School, 400 Spartan Drive, Salem, Virginia 24153
- Friday, August 16, 2:00 PM - Chesterfield-Colonial Heights Department of Social Services,
9501 Lucy Corr Circle
Chesterfield, Virginia 23832
Preparing children, families, schools and communities
In Virginia, School Readiness means preparing all children for kindergarten by supporting birth to age-five programming, including the Virginia Preschool Initiative and Early Childhood Special Education. Virginia's focus includes key classroom practices including the use of high-quality curriculum and assessment, teacher-child interactions and individualized professional development as well as strengthening family engagement. VDOE also works with other state agencies that serve young children to build a more unified birth to age-five early childhood care and education system.
Virginia’s Definition of School Readiness (PDF) describes the capabilities of children, families, schools and communities that promote student success in kindergarten and beyond. Each component – children, families, schools and communities – plays an essential role in developing school readiness.
- Ready Children are prepared socially, personally, physically and intellectually to meet literacy, mathematics, science, history/social science and developmental standards for four-year-olds described in Virginia's Foundation Blocks for Early Learning.
- Ready Families include parents and other adults who take responsibility for school readiness through direct, frequent and positive involvement with their children and by maintaining stable relationships and environments that promote healthy development and learning.
- Ready Schools provide a seamless transition to a learning environment led by skilled teachers and welcome all children with opportunities to enhance and build their skills, knowledge and abilities. More about Virginia preschools, curriculum and teacher professional development.
- Ready Communities – including businesses, faith-based organizations, early childhood service providers, community groups and local governments – support schools and families through information and access to high-quality child care and other early learning opportunities and services.
The Virginia Kindergarten Readiness Program (VKRP)
The VKRP provides teachers, parents, and administrators a comprehensive understanding of students’ school readiness skills at kindergarten entry as well as their skills at the end of kindergarten. VKRP complements Virginia’s statewide assessment of students’ literacy skills, using the Phonological Awareness Literacy Screening (PALS), with assessments of early math (using the Early Mathematics Assessment System or EMAS) and self-regulation and social skills (using the Child Behavior Rating Scale or CBRS).
To learn more about VKRP and how it works, visit the VKRP website. There you will find a variety of informative resources, including a more detailed overview-This is a PDF document. and snapshot-This is a PDF document. of the VKRP and related blogs.
Read Superintendent Lane’s and Chief School Readiness Officer Jenna Conway’s message to Virginia’s families and educators about VKRP:
VKRP (Virginia Kindergarten Readiness Program): A Pathway to Understanding Student Readiness Skills Statewide
- Virginia's Foundation Blocks for Early Learning: Comprehensive Standards for Four-Year-Olds
- Virginia’s Definition of School Readiness (PDF)
- Virginia Kindergarten Readiness Program (VKRP)
- Virginia Kindergarten Readiness Program - Overview-This is a PDF document.
- Virginia Kindergarten Readiness Program - Snapshot-This is a PDF document.
- Virginia Kindergarten Readiness Program - Frequently Asked Questions-This is a PDF document.
The following presentations and presenter’s notes on School Readiness are suitable for use during school and community meetings to explain school readiness and the components needed to ensure that children are prepared for kindergarten.
- School Readiness (PPT)
- Ready Children (PPT)
- Ready Families (PPT)
- Ready Schools (PPT)
- Ready Communities (PPT)