Board Meeting Agenda – September 15, 2022
News & Announcements
Virginia Board of Education Public Notice – September 15, 2022
The Virginia Board of Education will convene at 9a.m. on Thursday, September 15, 2022 for its monthly business meeting. The meeting will be held in the Board Room, located on the 22nd Floor of the James Monroe Building, 101 North 14th Street, Richmond, VA 23219, unless otherwise noted. The meeting is open to the public and will be livestreamed on the VDOE YouTube channel.
Public comment will be accepted. Requests to address the Board during the public comment portion of the meeting should be submitted to Megan Perez at firstname.lastname@example.org in advance of the meeting, but may be submitted the day of the meeting, at the discretion of the President. In honoring such requests, the Board will limit such comments to three minutes for each speaker at the discretion of the President.
Please note the Security Protocols for the James Monroe Building:
- All visitors to the James Monroe Building must show Photo ID and sign in at the security desk on the first floor. When you arrive, please pass through the security screening, sign-in at the security desk and let them know you are attending the Board of Education meeting. All visitors must have an escort to and from the security desk to the meeting location.
- Please allow time for these security protocols. Security desk hours are from 8:00AM to 5:00PM. We appreciate your patience and commitment to ensuring the safety of all employees and guests.
If you have any questions, please contact Emily Webb, Director of Board Relations, at email@example.com
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items.
Business Session Agenda – Thursday, September 15, 2022
9 a.m. Full Board Convenes
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes from the August 17, 2022 Meeting of the Board
- Item A: Final Review to Certify a List of Qualified Persons for the Office of Division Superintendent of Schools-This is a PDF document.
- Item B: First Review of Guidelines and Criteria for the Award and Distribution of Lab School Start-up and Per-Pupil Funding Grants-This is a PDF document.
- Item C: First Review of an Amendment to Virginia’s Consolidate State Plan under the Every Student Succeeds Act of 2015 (ESSA) – Amendment 5-This is a PDF document.
- Item D: Final Review of Guidelines for Policies on Sudden Cardiac Arrest Prevention in Student-Athletes-This is a PDF document.
- Item E: Final Review of Revisions to the Child Care Program Regulations (8VAC20-790) to Comply with Requirements of the 2023-2024 Appropriations Act (Exempt Action)-This is a PDF document.
- Item F: First Review of Comprehensive Revisions to the General Procedures and Information for Licensure, and Background Checks for Child Day Programs and Family Day Systems (Proposed Stage)-This is a PDF document.
- Item H: First Review of Guidelines for Implementing New Appropriation Act Provisions for Literary Fund School Construction Loans for the 2022-2024 Biennium-This is a PDF document.
Item I: First Review of Preliminary Unified Regulatory Plan for Compliance for Executive Order 19
- Item J: First Review of Proposed Technical Revisions to the Bylaws of the Virginia Board of Education to Comply with Statutory Changes-This is a PDF document.
- Item L: Update on Data Trends Used to Inform Virginia’s Strategic Plans for Educator Recruitment and Retention-This is a PDF document.
Discussion of Current Issues – by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
- Superintendent’s Update-This is a PDF document.
Guidelines for Public Comment
The Board of Education will provide an opportunity for members of the public to address the Board at its meetings, as appropriate, during the public comment portion of the meeting.
At its regular meetings, members of the public may address the Board during the public comment portion of the meeting on any matter related to public education, which includes the actions of the Board. During the public comment portion of any committee of the Board or any advisory committee of the Board, the Board requests that members of the public only address the committee on matters on the committee’s published agenda and any matters added to the agenda during the meeting by the committee.
Requests to address the Board or one of its committees during the public comment portion of the meeting shall include the subject to be discussed and the name of the speaker.
Requests to address the Board or one of its committees during the public comment portion of the meeting should be submitted to Megan Perez at firstname.lastname@example.org in advance of the meeting, but may be submitted the day of the meeting, at the discretion of the President or committee chairperson. In honoring such requests, the Board will limit such comments to three minutes for each speaker at the discretion of the President or committee chairperson.
The Board President or committee chairperson may, in his or her discretion, extend the public comment portion of the meeting, allocate the time available for public comment, adjust the order of speakers, or take other reasonable measures to ensure that the Board hears multiple views on any matter presented to the Board.Public comment speakers will be encourage to provide multiple written copies of their comments or other materials amplifying their views.