Board Meeting Agenda – September 23, 2021
News & Announcements
Virginia Board of Education Public Notice – September 22-23, 2021
The Virginia Board of Education will convene on Wednesday, September 22 and Thursday, September 23 for their monthly meetings. All meetings will be held in the Board Room, located on the 22nd Floor of the James Monroe Building, 101 North 14th Street, Richmond, VA 23219, unless otherwise noted. All meetings are open to the public and will be livestreamed on the VDOE YouTube channel. Based on CDC guidance, all individuals, regardless of vaccination status, are strongly encouraged to wear a mask. Please note the Security Protocols for the James Monroe Building:
- All visitors to the James Monroe Building must show Photo ID and sign in at the security desk on the first floor. When you arrive, please pass through the security screening, sign-in at the security desk and let them know you are attending the Board of Education meeting. All visitors must have an escort to and from the security desk to the meeting location.
- Please allow time for these security protocols. Security desk hours are from 8:00AM to 5:00PM. We appreciate your patience and commitment to ensuring the safety of all employees and guests.
Board of Education members will meet for lunch at noon on Wednesday, September 22, 2021. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public.
The Board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. All documents are Word files unless otherwise indicated.
Business Session Agenda – Thursday, September 23, 2021
9 a.m. Full Board Convenes
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Approval of Minutes from the July 21-22, 2021 Meetings of the Board
Resolution of Recognition Commemorating September 15 – October 15, 2021 as Hispanic Heritage Month
- Item A: Final Review to Certify a List of Qualified Persons for the Office of Division Superintendents of Schools-This is a Word document.
- Item B: Final Review of Nominations to Fill Vacancies on Board Advisory Committees-This is a Word document.
- Item C: Final Review of Proposed Board of Education Meeting Dates for 2022-This is a Word document.
- Item D: Final Review of Proposed Revisions to the Guidelines for Locally Awarded Verified Credits Contained in the Guidance Document Governing Certain Provisions of the Regulations Establishing Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia to Allow for the Use of Performance Assessments to Verify Credits in History and Social Science-This is a Word document.
- Item E: First Review of Approved Training Programs for the Treatment of Students with a Seizure Disorder-This is a Word document.
- Item F: First Review of Exempt Action to the Regulations Governing Special Education Programs for Children with Disabilities in Virginia-This is a Word document.
- Item F- Attachment A-This is a Word document.
- Item F- Attachment B
- Item G: First Review of Exempt Action to the Regulations Governing the Operation of Private Schools for Students with Disabilities-This is a Word document.
- Item G – Attachment A-This is a Word document.
- Item G – Attachment B
- Item H: First Review of Recommendations for School Division of Innovation (SDI) Designation-This is a Word document.
- Item I: First Review of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure Recommendations for Guidelines for Mentor Teacher Programs for Beginning and Experience Teachers-This is a Word document.
Discussion of Current Issues – by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
- Update on the Timeline for Phase 3 Revisions to the Teacher Evaluation Guidelines
- Discussion of Priorities for 2021 Annual Report on the Conditions and Needs of Public Schools in Virginia
Guidelines for Public Comment
The Board of Education will provide an opportunity for members of the public to address the Board at its meetings, as appropriate, during the public comment portion of the meeting.
At its regular meetings, members of the public may address the Board during the public comment portion of the meeting on any matter related to public education, which includes the actions of the Board. During the public comment portion of any committee of the Board or any advisory committee of the Board, the Board requests that members of the public only address the committee on matters on the committee’s published agenda and any matters added to the agenda during the meeting by the committee.
Requests to address the Board or one of its committees during the public comment portion of the meeting shall include the subject to be discussed and the name of the speaker.
Requests to address the Board or one of its committees during the public comment portion of the meeting should be submitted to the Department of Education (804-225-2540 or Sonya.Broady@doe.virginia.gov) in advance of the meeting, but may be submitted the day of the meeting, at the discretion of the President or committee chairperson. In honoring such requests, the Board will limit such comments to three minutes for each speaker at the discretion of the President or committee chairperson.
The Board President or committee chairperson may, in his or her discretion, extend the public comment portion of the meeting, allocate the time available for public comment, adjust the order of speakers, or take other reasonable measures to ensure that the Board hears multiple views on any matter presented to the Board.
Public comment speakers will be encourage to provide multiple written copies of their comments or other materials amplifying their views.