Board Meeting Agenda – February 23, 2017
Click on the links below to view individual agenda items. All documents are PDF files unless otherwise indicated.
Business Session Agenda – Thursday, February 23, 2017
Full Board Convenes – 9 a.m.
Moment of Silence
Pledge of Allegiance
Election of Vice President for the unexpired term through July 2017
Approval of Minutes of the January 26, 2017, Meeting of the Board
Resolution of Recognition
Resolutions of Recognition to Virginia School Divisions Participating in the Community Eligibility Provision of the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act
Resolution of Recognition presented to Milken Family Foundation Educator Award Winner, Lindsay Seiler Murray, W.E. Cundiff Elementary, Roanoke County Public Schools
Resolution of Recognition to Commemorate February 2017, as Black History Month
- Final Review of Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure (ABTEL) for a Passing Score for the Praxis Algebra I (5162) Test for the Mathematics – Algebra I (ADD-ON) Endorsement
- Third Review of Proposed Regulations Governing the Use of Seclusion and Restraint in Public Elementary and Secondary Schools in Virginia (Proposed Stage)
- First Review of Recommendation of the Advisory Board on Teacher Education and Licensure (ABTEL) to Revise the Definition of At-Risk of Becoming Low-Performing and Low-Performing Institutions of Higher Education in Virginia as Required by Title II of the Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA)
- First Review of Process for State Approval of Textbooks for K-12 History and Social Science.
- First Review of Process for State Approval of Textbooks for K-12 Mathematics.
- Report on the Timeline for the Development of the Computer Science Standards of Learning
- Report on the Timeline and First Draft Outline for the Educational Technology Plan for Virginia: 2017-2022
- Legislative Report: 2017 General Assembly
Discussion of Current Issues – by Board of Education Members and Superintendent of Public Instruction
Board of Education members will meet for a working lunch at noon, Wednesday, February 22, 2017, in the 25th floor conference room of the James Monroe Building (101 N. 14th Street, Richmond, VA 23219). No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public.
Board of Education members will meet for dinner at 6 p.m., Wednesday, February 22, 2017, at the Berkeley Hotel (1200 East Cary Street, Richmond, VA 23219). Items for the Board agenda may be discussed informally at that dinner. No votes will be taken, and it is open to the public.
The board president reserves the right to change the times listed on this agenda depending upon the time constraints during the meeting.
*Guidelines for Public Comment
The Board of Education will provide an opportunity for members of the public to address the board at its meetings, as appropriate, during the public comment portion of the meeting.
At its regular meetings, members of the public may address the board during the public comment portion of the meeting on any matter related to public education which includes the actions of the board. During the public comment portion of any committee of the board or any advisory committee of the board, the board requests that members of the public only address the committee on matters on the committee’s published agenda and any matters added to the agenda during the meeting by the committee.
Requests to address the board or one of its committees during the public comment portion of the meeting shall include the subject to be discussed and the name of the speaker.
Requests to address the board or one of its committees during the public comment portion of the meeting should be submitted to the Virginia Department of Education (804-225-2540 or Emily.Webb@doe.virginia.gov) in advance of the meeting, but may be submitted the day of the meeting, at the discretion of the president or committee chairperson. In honoring such requests, the board will limit such comments to three minutes for each speaker at the discretion of the President or committee chairperson.
The board president or committee chairperson may, in his or her discretion, extend the public comment portion of the meeting, allocate the time available for public comment, adjust the order of speakers, or take other reasonable measures to ensure that the board hears multiple views on any matter presented to the board.
Public comment speakers will be encouraged to provide multiple written copies (11) of their comments or other materials amplifying their views.