The Board of Education’s bylaws allows the creation of standing committees composed of board members and non-board members, as the board deems appropriate and with functions, duties, rights, powers and authority as the board prescribes. The board president appoints all members to serve on standing committees.
- Charter School Committee – reviews any proposed public charter school application that has been submitted by the applicant to the board and comments on the application’s feasibility, curriculum and financial soundness.
- College Partnership Laboratory Schools Committee – is responsible for developing procedures for receiving, reviewing and ruling on applications from Virginia public colleges and universities to establish laboratory schools.
- Committee on Evidence-Based Policymaking – reviews research in the field of K-12 education and makes recommendations to the board on how best to utilize data in making policy decisions. (The committee concluded its mission and work in December 2018 and has been dissolved.)
- Committee on School & Division Accountability – studies chronically low-performing schools and school divisions and makes recommendations on increasing accountability for effective instruction and achievement.
- Committee on the Standards of Quality – makes recommendations to the full board on revising the Standards of Quality. Virginia's constitution requires the board to determine and prescribe standards of quality for the public schools of Virginia, subject to revision only by the General Assembly.
- Special Committee to Review the Standards of Accreditation - tasked with reviewing the positive, negative and unintended consequences of the 2017 comprehensive revisions to the Standards of Accreditation, and will make recommendations to the full Board on future revisions.