Superintendent’s Memo #131-16
COMMONWEALTH of VIRGINIA
Department of Education
May 27, 2016
TO: Division Superintendents
FROM: Steven R. Staples, Superintendent of Public Instruction
SUBJECT: 2016-2017 Board-Approved List of Industry Certification Examinations, State Professional Licensure Examinations, and Occupational Competency Assessments
At its meeting on May 26, 2016, the Board of Education approved technical changes and additions to and deletions from the list of industry certification examinations, state professional licensure examinations, and occupational competency assessments pursuant to the Regulations Establishing Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia as follows:
- Standard and Verified Units of Credit (8 VAC 20-131-110.C – minimum criteria for substitute tests);
- Student-selected verified credit for standard diploma (8 VAC 20-131-50.B.2 – Notes 4, 5, 6 and 7);
- Verified credit for the advanced studies diploma (8 VAC 20-131-50.C.2 – Note 5);
- The Board of Education’s Career and Technical Education Seal (8 VAC 20-131-50.H.3);
- The Board of Education’s Seal of Advanced Mathematics and Technology (8 VAC 20-131-50.H.4); and
- Beginning in 2013-2014, first-time ninth-grade students (graduating class of 2017) are required to earn an industry credential to graduate with a Standard Diploma (8 VAC 20-131-50.B.2, Note 8).
If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Career and Technical Education at email@example.com or by telephone at 804-225-2052.