Superintendent’s Memo #104-12

State seal, Commonwealth of Virginia

Department of Education

April 20, 2012

TO:  Division Superintendents

FROM:  Patricia I. Wright, Superintendent of Public Instruction

SUBJECT:  Carl D. Perkins Career and Technical Education Act of 2006 (Perkins IV) Federal Funds for July 1, 2012 through June 30, 2013

The Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) is pleased to provide school divisions with the Carl D. Perkins Career and Technical Education (CTE) Act of 2006 (Perkins IV) federal fund allocations for school year 2012-2013.  Virginia received an overall 2.07 percent reduction ($500,056) in federal Perkins funds for 2012-2013.  Please refer to the attachments for funding allocations.

The grant award period is from July 1, 2012 through June 30, 2013; however, the funds will be distributed to the state in two allocations.  Approximately 30 percent of the grant funds will be made available on July 1, 2012.  The remaining 70 percent of the grant funds will be available on October 1, 2012.  There is no provision for Perkins funds to be carried over to the next school year, which means that all funds must be expended or obligated by June 30, 2013.

Attachment A lists the school year 2012-2013 Perkins fund allocations for school divisions.  Please note the following federal regulations impacting the calculation of the school division allocations:

This computation must be based on the 2010 poverty estimates provided by the U.S. Census Bureau, which are based on 2009-2010 school district boundaries, and which was obtained at:

This computation was based on the most updated student enrollment data, reflecting the 2009-2010 school year, collected by the National Center for Education Statistics through the Common Core of Data (CCD) survey system, which was obtained at:

Attachment B lists the estimated 30 percent of the Perkins funds available to each school division beginning July 1, 2012, and the 70 percent of the remaining funds available on October 1, 2012.  All of these funds will be distributed on a reimbursement basis and are available through June 30, 2013.  Because the state cannot expend more than the 30 percent of local allocations during the July 1 through September 30, 2012 time period, funds will be distributed on a reimbursement basis for actual expenditures not to exceed the 30 percent allocation.

Reimbursement requests and object code line budgets for Perkins CTE funds must be submitted through the VDOE Single Sign-on for Web Systems (SSWS) using the Online Management of Education Grant Awards (OMEGA) application.  All expenditures must be consistent with the approved local plan and budget for school year 2012-2013.  Reimbursement requests must be submitted no later than September 30, 2013, and must cover expenditures that were made during school year 2012-2013 (through June 30, 2013).

Documentation of any reimbursement claims must be retained in the school division and must be available for audit in accordance with state regulations governing the retention of financial records.

If you have any questions, please contact W. Terry Dougherty, grants administrator, at or by telephone at (804) 225-3349.



  1. Total School Year 2012-2013 Perkins Fund Allocations (PDF)
  2. Perkins Funds Available Beginning July 1, 2012 (30 percent) and Funds Available on October 1, 2012 (70 percent) (PDF)