Links with this icon leave the Virginia Department of Education website and visit an external resource.
- Video Streamed Training for Career and Technical Education (CTE) Administrators
The Office of Career and Technical Education is pleased to announce a series of 15 training sessions to be held during the 2016-2017 school year for new and experienced CTE administrators. The goal is to provide sustained professional development on the responsibilities, identify resources, and provide technical assistance throughout the school year. All CTE administrators are strongly encouraged to participate. Review the training schedule today!
- NCAA Eligibility Requirements
College-bound student-athletes will need to meet the following academic requirements to practice, receive athletics scholarships, and/or compete during their first year. A free NCAA Eligibility Course is available to educate high school coaches, school personnel, administrators, and parents about the NCAA's initial-eligibility requirements.
- Improving Programs for Students with Disabilities PD Opportunities
VDOE Office of Special Education Program Improvement has web-based trainings available online that offer support and resources for mathematics instruction support, planning a master schedule and using data informed decision making through the lens of the Virginia Tiered System of Supports. Participants will gain valuable tools and resources to assist in meeting the needs of SWD. Administrators, teachers and division level staff are encouraged to use these resources as a part of their ongoing professional development.
- Online Course Search Tool
Learn24VA is an initiative of the VDOE and Virginia529 College Savings Plan. This portal aggregates digital tools, content, and resources to support teaching and learning 24/7. The site quickly searches for Virginia-approved online courses by subject. For example, when you type "German" in the search box, all of the approved German courses would appear in a list. Try it today!
- 2016 History and Social Science SOL Institutes
Registration is now open for the Institutes held across the Commonwealth in October and November. The focus will highlight the revisions of the HSS SOL and Curriculum Framework as well as strategies to engage students with the content using the essential skills. Teacher led sessions will include modeling exemplars that encourage historical thinking with either an elementary or secondary focus.
- VASCD Professional Development Opportunities
Join the Virginia Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development for their exciting fall professional development line up! See VASCD for all the details:
- October 11, Fredericksburg – Leading Innovation within the SOL Framework: This session provides strategies for division-level leaders on how to support teachers to ensure that student learning is relevant to the real world as well as focused on the SOL.
- October 13, Richmond – Designing Authentic Performance Assessments: This blended learning experience for teachers includes a short video- based guide to creating transfer goals, followed by a face-to-face session to use SOL content to practice the process of developing performance assessment tasks.
- October 25, Fredericksburg – Designing Quality Rubrics: During the course of the day, participants will develop and share quality rubrics to evaluate student understanding and transfer of learning in their classrooms.
- VSUP Professional Development Conferences
Virginia School-University Partnership conferences are open to all Virginia educators. Conference details and location information are available from VSUP. Upcoming October opportunities include:
- October 11: Seatwork to Feetwork: Engaging Students in Their Own Learning (Grades K-12)
- October 14: Visible Learning: Seeing Learning Through the Eyes of Your Students (Grades K-12)
- October 18: Captivate, Activate, and Invigorate the Student Brain Using Scientific Inquiry (Grades 3-8)
- October 19: Using Literacy Strategies to Gain Deep Mathematical Understanding (Grades 2-5)
- Innovative Solutions Consortium
Student-Led Ideation Challenge (SLIC) Program engages students to work on real world problems that impact their communities as well as the global community at large. Teams of students will compete by developing real solutions to issues facing our education system, food systems, and technological challenges related to unmanned flight systems. To participate in SLIC, teachers will need to register in the SLIC portal. Training will be held from October 17-28 with choices of regional onsite sessions or online. See VDOE for more information about SLIC.
- 2016 AdvancED Annual Fall Conference
This conference entitled Discover. Improve. Succeed. will be held October 24-25 at the Renaissance Portsmouth-Norfolk Waterfront Hotel. The AdvancED conference will reveal the new AdvancED Performance Standards and review protocol to guide institutions through a personalized and meaningful improvement experience. Register today!
- Hands-on Performance Assessment Workshop -October 20
Join the Virginia Association of School Superintendents for a hands-on performance-based assessment workshop at the Williamsburg Doubletree Hotel This workshop is for teachers and administrators with varying levels of experience in the development and use of performance based assessments in all subject areas. See VASS for registration and more information.
- VATE Annual Conference
Virginia Association of Teachers of English will hold their annual conference October 21-23 at the Hampton Crowne Plaza Hotel on the Marina. The Virginia English Language Arts Supervisors will meet on October 21. Register today!
- GRAMMY in the Schools
There are a number of opportunities from GRAMMY in the Schools:
- GRAMMY's Music Educator Award Due March 31: Nominations are open to current, full-time, educators who teach music in kindergarten through higher education.
- Music Education Program Grants Due October 22: GRAMMY Signature Schools Enterprise Award offers financial support to public high school music education programs.
- K-5 Economics and Personal Finance Online Course
This online course will take place from Oct 24 -Dec 4. It will cover the elementary economic and personal finance SOL concepts. Register today!
- Nominations: Workplace Readiness Skills for the Commonwealth Assessment Review Committee
CTE is accepting nominations for the WRS review committee. Approximately 25 applicants will be selected. The meeting will be held at the CTE Resource Center in Glen Allen from October 25-26. All nominees who wish to serve on the committee must complete an online application using the CTE Application Processing System. See Superintendent’s Memo 180-16 for additional information.
- 2016 MCM Kids Run
The MCM Kids Run presented by Virginia529 will be held on October 29 in the Pentagon North parking lot. This event hosts nearly 1,800 students as part of the Healthy School Award challenge. The top five schools with the most registered student participants are honored with the Healthy School Award. This award includes a monetary donation to the school's physical education department. Register your school group today!
- 2016 History and Social Science SOL Institutes
Registration is now open for the HSS SOL Institutes held across the commonwealth in October and November. The focus will highlight the review and revision of the Standards and Curriculum Framework and opportunities to learn how to engage students with the content using the essential skills. Sessions will have teachers model and provide exemplars that encourage historical thinking and promote deeper understanding with either an elementary or secondary history focus.
- 2016 VAST Professional Development Institute
Virginia Association of Science Teachers is accepting proposals for presentations at the Fall 2016 PDI on The Faces of Science. This institute will showcase resources available to teachers through the many science organizations and companies in Virginia. The VAST PDI will be held November 17-19 in Williamsburg. Deadline for proposal submission is May 1.
- Early Childhood Special Education Administrator Institute
This one-day Institute will be held on November 14 in Charlottesville. The focus will be to deliver targeted technical assistance to school division leaders who are the program administrator for ECSE programs. See Superintendent’s Memo 250-16 for details.
- National Student Mock Election Opportunities
There opportunities for students to participate in the state and national elections in November. The Virginia Board of Education supports participation in these programs and is dedicated to increasing civic engagement across the Commonwealth. The Youth Leadership Initiative (YLI) and the National Student Parent Mock Election non-partisan voter education projects, provide opportunities for students and parents to participate in the political process by simulating an election in their school. Find out more information today!