Links with this icon leave the Virginia Department of Education website and visit an external resource.
- Effective Strategies for Students with Learning and Behavior Problems
VDOE in collaboration with Old Dominion University has created a series of evidence-based online modules that focus on specific behavior strategies. Register online or for more information contact by email Ellen J. Harrison or call 804-225-2709.
- Center on Transition Innovations (CTI)
This center serves as a statewide resource dedicated to improving postsecondary outcomes for students with disabilities. Visit the CTI website to learn about online courses, webcasts, videos, newsletters, fact sheets and topical papers focused on students with disabilities making successful transitions to postsecondary life.
- ESL Professional Development Opportunities
VDOE is offering several professional development opportunities for English as a Second Language (ESL) teachers, coordinators, and administrators:
- Update: October English SOL Institutes
Registration is now open to all for six K-12 English Language Arts Standards of Learning (SOL) Institutes. The English SOL Institutes utilize a train-the-trainer model to provide professional development focused on nonfiction and fiction reading, writing, as well as successful strategies with English Language Learners and Students with Disabilities. Participants will attend four different concurrent breakout sessions with either an elementary or secondary focus. For more information see Superintendent's Memo 144-14.
- Mathematics SOL Institutes
Registration is now open for four K-12 Mathematics Institutes to be held in October 2014 at four sites in the commonwealth. These Institutes are designed to provide teachers with professional development focused on fostering students’ abilities to make mathematical connections and use effective and appropriate representations in mathematics. Each school division will be invited to send an eight-person team. Details and registration information can be found in Superintendent’s Memo 208-14.
- 2014 VMI STEM Conference is October 7-8
This third VMI STEM Education Conference will explore engineering principles and pedagogical methods and strategies with the goal of incorporating engineering concepts and projects into the teaching of math and science. It is specifically designed for classroom math and science teachers of grades three through eight, as well as the administrators who support them. Registration is now open.
- Virginia Holocaust Museum Educator Open House
Middle and high school educators and administrators are invited to a free Educator Open House October 9, 4:30 p.m.-9 p.m. Participants will take a tour of the Museum and receive classroom resources. Contact Education Director, Megan Ferenczy by October 2 at 804-257-5400 ext. 234.
- LFVA Fall Conference
Learning Forward Virginia’s Fall Conference, Building Your Team Dynamics, will be held on Thursday, October 9, at the Sheraton Park South, Richmond. Register now to learn about protocols and structures that support powerful collaboration with keynote speaker and author Jennifer Abrams.
- Virginia Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development Workshops
Professional development opportunities are available through VASCD. Visit the VASCD website for registration information.
- Building Mathematical Thinking in Kindergarten Through Algebra: Strategies for Teachers, will be held in Campbell County on October 2 and 23, and in Abingdon on October 4 and 27. The two-part institutes include a full- day session and an after-school follow-up session. Teachers will learn how to interpret the math process skills that are so important to development of mathematical thinking, and to success in mastering the SOL. Register online.
- Effective Strategies to Improve Children’s Abilities to Control their Behaviors and Emotions is a two-part workshop offering a full-day session on October 9 and a half-day on November 6 in Williamsburg. Register online
- VATESOL Annual Conference
The Virginia Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages fall conference, Shifting Paradigms: Uniting Methodology and Technology, will be held on October 10-11 at Longwood University.
- VATE Conference
Register now for the 100th Birthday Celebration of the Virginia Association of Teachers of English at the annual conference on October 10-12 at the Williamsburg Doubletree.
- Scare School at Kings Dominion
At Scare School students in grades 6-12 will learn the details behind all aspects of production including set design, makeup, costuming and participate in acting seminars. More information about this October 10 event is available on the Kings Dominion website.
- Foreign Language Teachers Workshop Series (FLTWS)
FLTWS will begin the 2014-2015 season with Workshop 1: All Things Considered: Language Classroom Edition October 14 from 4-6 p.m. Workshops are free but registration is required.
- Language Immersion Education Conference
The 5th annual International Conference on Language Immersion Education: Mainstreaming Access to Multilingual Communities, will be held in Salt Lake City, October 15-18.
- Professional Development for Latin Teachers
The Classical Association of the Middle West and South-Southern Section will hold its meeting this fall, October 16-18, at the University of Mary Washington in Fredericksburg.
- VCEC Fall Conference – October 17-18
The Virginia Council for Exceptional Children's Fall Conference features Keynote speaker Rick Lavoie and panel discussion with Literate Nation. The conference theme is Student Engagement and is being held at the Virginia Beach Resort Hotel. Register today.
- Virginia Theatre Association Annual Conference
The VTA Annual Professional Development Conference brings theatre practitioners from across the commonwealth together to perform, compete, learn, audition and grow in their field. Register now for the October 23-26 conference at the Norfolk Waterside Marriott.
- Virginia Council of the Social Studies Conference
The Virginia Social Studies Educators "Virginia in a Global World" annual conference will be held October 24 - 25, at the Sheraton Premier in Tyson Corner. Register today.
- Space Sports S.T.E.M. Adventure -October 30
VDOE, Virginia Space Grant Consortium, SportScienceFun, and NASA Langley have teamed up to invite Grade 3-5 teachers on a Space Sports S.T.E.M. Adventure. The two free sessions will be held at New Horizon’s Regional Governor’s School in Hampton with a limit of 30 teachers per session. For more information, email Kirsten Manning, VSGC Education Specialist, or call 757-766-5210.
- Virginia Art Education Association Annual Conference
Register now for the VAEA Annual Professional Development Conference Art Transforms, held at the Doubletree in Midlothian on November 6-8. The Keynote Speaker will be Shane Pomajambo, Executive Director and Editor in Chief of Art Whino.
- Central Virginia Writing Project
The Central Virginia Writing Project is offering two days of professional development with authors Georgia Heard (Nov 13) and Tom Romano (Nov 14). To learn more about how to take advantage of this opportunity to help students write more effectively register online.
- Virginia Music Educators Association Professional Development Conference
Register now for the VMEA Professional Development Conference held November 20-22, in Norfolk. Join music practitioners from across the commonwealth to enhance teaching skills and learn about the latest research and developments in music technology.
- VAST Conference – November 20-22
The Virginia Association of Science Teacher conference will be held at the Hotel Roanoke in Roanoke. Register now for the VAST Pre-Conference on differentiating instruction in science and mathematics with Dr. Carol Tomlinson.