Links with this icon leave the Virginia Department of Education website and visit an external resource.
- Video Streamed Training for Career and Technical Education (CTE) Administrators
The Office of Career and Technical Education is pleased to announce a series of 15 training sessions to be held during the 2016-2017 school year for new and experienced CTE administrators. The goal is to provide sustained professional development on the responsibilities, identify resources, and provide technical assistance throughout the school year. All CTE administrators are strongly encouraged to participate. Review the training schedule today!
- NCAA Eligibility Requirements
College-bound student-athletes will need to meet the following academic requirements to practice, receive athletics scholarships, and/or compete during their first year. A free NCAA Eligibility Course is available to educate high school coaches, school personnel, administrators, and parents about the NCAA's initial-eligibility requirements.
- Improving Programs for Students with Disabilities PD Opportunities
VDOE Office of Special Education Program Improvement has web-based trainings available online that offer support and resources for mathematics instruction support, planning a master schedule and using data informed decision making through the lens of the Virginia Tiered System of Supports. Participants will gain valuable tools and resources to assist in meeting the needs of SWD. Administrators, teachers and division level staff are encouraged to use these resources as a part of their ongoing professional development.
- Online Course Search Tool
Learn24VA is an initiative of the VDOE and Virginia529 College Savings Plan. This portal aggregates digital tools, content, and resources to support teaching and learning 24/7. The site quickly searches for Virginia-approved online courses by subject. For example, when you type "German" in the search box, all of the approved German courses would appear in a list. Try it today!
- Public Summit
On September 17, the Thomas Jefferson Foundation at Monticello will host a free public summit on "Memory, Mourning, Mobilization: Legacies of Slavery and Freedom in America" Historians, cultural leaders, and activists will engage in a dialogue on the history of slavery and its meaning in today's conversations on race, freedom, and equality. Register today.
- Capitol Square Fair
Virginia Capitol Square Preservation Council is pleased to host the Virginia Capitol Square Fair, a free community outreach and education event on September 24. Educators and the public will be offered an array of history and conservation learning opportunities.
- VACMS Coaching for Balanced and Connected Mathematics
The 5th Annual Virginia Council of Mathematics Specialists' Conference will be held September 29-30 at Germanna Community College in Culpeper. Registration is limited to the first 150 participants.
- VASCD Professional Development Opportunities
Join VASCD for their exciting fall professional development line up! See VASCD for all the details:
- Building Partnerships, Relationships, and Networks – September 27: Join VASCD for Session 1 of Making a Difference from the Central Office Series. The transition from school-based to a division-level role can challenge relationships and this session focuses on building those networks.
- Bridging the Gap: Teaming Up for Differentiation – September 29: This conference will help teachers meet student needs using varied instructional strategies, technology applications, and team approaches designed to support teaching and learning.
- VSUP Professional Development Conferences
Virginia School-University Partnership conferences are open to all Virginia educators. Upcoming VSUP opportunities include:
- Introduction to Responsive Classroom (Grades PreK-6) – September 27: Participants will gain an understanding of the general principles of the Responsive Classroom approach and walk away with specific strategies to implement immediately in the classroom.
- Engage, Empower, & Inspire Students with Project-based Learning (Grades 6-12) – September 28: This highly interactive workshop will provide attendees with the tools, techniques, and mindset to successfully implement project-based learning (PBL) in any content area.
- The Maker Space Movement: Engaging Students in Hands-On Learning (Grades K-8) – September 29: Based on the belief that professional growth is most effective when it is teacher driven and integrated into our current work with students, instructional coaching tools can be used by both colleagues and supervisors to foster a professional learning community for educators.
- Proposals for FLAVA 2016 Annual Conference
Proposals are now being accepted for the 2016 FLAVA Annual Conference: Globally Mine! The conference will be held October 6-8, 2016 in Williamsburg. Deadline for submission is April 17.
- 2016 MCM Kids Run
The MCM Kids Run presented by Virginia529 will be held on October 29 in the Pentagon North parking lot. This event hosts nearly 1,800 students as part of the Healthy School Award challenge. The top five schools with the most registered student participants are honored with the Healthy School Award. This award includes a monetary donation to the school's physical education department. Register your school group today!
- 2016 VAST Professional Development Institute
Virginia Association of Science Teachers is accepting proposals for presentations at the Fall 2016 PDI on The Faces of Science. This institute will showcase resources available to teachers through the many science organizations and companies in Virginia. The VAST PDI will be held November 17-19 in Williamsburg. Deadline for proposal submission is May 1.
- National Student Mock Election Opportunities
There opportunities for students to participate in the state and national elections in November. The Virginia Board of Education supports participation in these programs and is dedicated to increasing civic engagement across the Commonwealth. The Youth Leadership Initiative (YLI) and the National Student Parent Mock Election non-partisan voter education projects, provide opportunities for students and parents to participate in the political process by simulating an election in their school. Find out more information today!