News & Announcements
Change in 2016 Mathematics SOL Implementation Timeline
VDOE Mathematics Coordinator Tina Mazzacane discusses the recently announced delay of the introduction of state math tests based on the 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning until spring 2019. More information in Superintendent's Memo #043-18.
End-of-Course Mathematics SOL tests administered in the fall of 2018 will continue to assess the 2009 Mathematics Standards of Learning and include field test items measuring the 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning. For updated implementation timeline and additional information, go to Superintendent's Memo 043-18.
Mathematics Standards of Learning (SOL) – Adopted 2009
- The Standards of Learning and Curriculum Framework comprise the mathematics content that teachers in Virginia are expected to teach and students are expected to learn.
- Test Blueprints (based on the 2009 mathematics SOL) provide information on how SOL assessments are constructed.
- Enhanced Scope and Sequence (ESS) Sample Lesson Plans are aligned with the 2009 Mathematics SOL Curriculum Framework; searchable by keyword and SOL.
- SOL Practice Items (based on the 2009 Mathematics SOL) provide examples of state assessment items.
- Using Statewide SOL Test Results to Guide Instruction – Examples of challenging SOL content based on statewide results (based on the 2009 mathematics SOL) .
Standards of Learning
Resources for Instruction & Assessment
|Standards||Curriculum Framework||Standards of Learning (SOL) Test|
|All Mathematics||Word | PDF||NA||NA||
|Kindergarten||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||NA|
|Grade 1||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||NA|
|Grade 2||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||NA|
|Grade 3||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||PDF *|
|Grade 4||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||PDF *|
|Grade 5||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||PDF *|
|Grade 6||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||PDF *|
|Grade 7||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||PDF *|
|Grade 8||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||PDF *|
|Algebra I||Word | PDF||Word | PDF|
|Geometry||Word | PDF||Word | PDF|
|Algebra II||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||PDF *|
|Trigonometry||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||NA|
|Algebra II & Trigonometry||Word | PDF||N/A||NA|
|Algebra, Functions & Data Analysis||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||NA|
|Computer Mathematics||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||NA|
|Probability & Statistics||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||NA|
|Discrete Mathematics||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||NA|
|Mathematical Analysis||Word | PDF||Word | PDF||NA|
* This document has been revised.
Mathematics Performance Expectations define the level of achievement students must reach to be academically prepared for success in entry-level credit-bearing college courses. The expectations were developed through the College & Career Readiness Initiative – a process that involved faculty from Virginia's two- and four-year colleges and universities, members of the business community and high school educators.
- College & Career Ready Performance Expectations (PDF)
- Mathematics Capstone Course Information
- Correlation of Virginia’s Mathematics Performance Expectations with Virginia’s 2009 Mathematics Standards of Learning (PDF)
- Ancillary Test Materials – Ancillary test materials include mathematics formula sheets for grades 6-8 and End-of-course Algebra I, Geometry, and Algebra II; the Table of Standard Normal Probabilities (z-table); sample grid paper; and Chemistry Periodic Table of the Elements.
- SOL Practice Items – Practice items provide examples of the new content and increased rigor of the 2009 Mathematics SOL – including examples of new technology-enhanced items for grades 6-8, Algebra I, Geometry and Algebra II. Technology-enhanced items allow students to indicate their responses in ways other than multiple choice.
- Approved Calculators for the Virginia Standards of Learning Assessments-This is a Word document. – This chart lists the approved calculators for use on the mathematics Standards of Learning assessments, listed by grade level.
Virginia's 2009 Mathematics Standards of Learning and the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics
- Comparison of Virginia’s 2009 Mathematics Standards of Learning with the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics (PDF)
- More about the Standards of Learning and the Common Core State Standards