Participation & Inclusion
All students in tested grade levels and courses are expected to participate in Virginia’s assessment program, unless specifically exempted by state or federal law or by Board of Education regulations. Virginia’s assessment system includes students with disabilities and limited English proficient (LEP) students. Students with disabilities and LEP students may take Standards of Learning tests with or without accommodations or they may be assessed through alternate or alternative assessments. The tests that comprise the Virginia Assessment Program are offered in English only; administration of the tests in other languages is not permitted.
VDOE offers the following guidance regarding the assessment of students with disabilities and/or limited English proficiency:
- The document Procedures for Participation of Students with Disabilities in Virginia's Accountability System has been updated and reorganized into two documents as follows:
- Students with Disabilities: Guidelines for Assessment Participation-This is a Word document. – Provides the state assessment options available to students with disabilities, the participation criteria, and information about the roles and responsibilities of Individualized Education Program (IEP) teams and 504 committees in making assessment determinations.
- Students with Disabilities: Guidelines for Special Test Accommodations (PDF) – Provides information on a four-step process for selecting and using test accommodations and a description of test accommodations currently permitted on state assessments.
- Administrators Update Training 2018-2019 – Assessment Options for Students with Disabilities-This is a PPT presentation.
- Special Assessment Accommodation Request – The Special Assessment Accommodation Request form is used by division directors of testing to request special assessment accommodations that individual students with disabilities may require to access the Standards of Learning assessments. The first document below provides the deadlines and directions for submission. The second document below is the fillable form which must be submitted to VDOE.
- English Learners: Guidelines for Participation in the Virginia Assessment Program-This is a Word document. – Updated August 22, 2018
- Guidelines for Administering the Read-Aloud Accommodation for Standards of Learning Assessments-This is a Word document. – Updated April 8, 2019
- Explanation of Testing Accommodations for Students with Disabilities – Math Aids – Accommodation Code 19 (PDF) – effective beginning fall 2017
- Explanation of Testing Accommodations for Students with Disabilities – Assistive Technology Accommodations (PDF) – effective beginning fall 2017
- Calculator Accommodation Criteria Form (Word) – Updated February 26, 2019
- Health Management Device Form-This is a Word document. – This form must be completed for each student with a documented health need who requires the use of a health management device (e.g., continuous glucose monitor, seizure monitor, etc.) during the administration of a Standards of Learning (SOL) assessment.
Virginia Modified Achievement Standards Test (VMAST)
VMAST assessments for End-of-Course (EOC) Algebra I and EOC Reading will be available for eligible students with disabilities pursuing a Standard Diploma with credit accommodations. VMAST assessments for grade 8 mathematics and grade 8 reading are available for students with disabilities pursing a Modified Standard Diploma. The Modified Standard Diploma is available only to students who entered the 9th grade for the first time prior to the 2013-2014 school year.
The Virginia Modified Achievement Standards Test (VMAST) is intended for students with disabilities who are being instructed in grade level content but are not likely to achieve proficiency in the same time frame as their non-disabled peers. In the VMAST assessments, research-based supports and simplifications identified by Virginia educators have been applied to existing online reading and mathematics items to make them more accessible for students with disabilities.
- Mathematics Standards of Learning and VMAST Testing Blueprints
- English Standards of Learning and VMAST Testing Blueprints
- VMAST Practice Items and Practice Item Guides