SOL Assessment Committees
News & Announcements
The deadline for submitting nominations for the Mathematics End-of-Course Standard Setting Committees is September 28, 2018
VDOE is seeking nominations for the 2018 Standards of Learning Mathematics End-of-Course Standard Setting Review Committees. For more information and a review schedule, see Superintendent’s Memo 229-18-This is a Word document..
Virginia teachers, school administrators and content specialists participate in the development of SOL assessments by serving on committees that review test items and forms to ensure that they measure student knowledge accurately and fairly. VDOE encourages educators to participate in this process.
Click below to see an informational video that provides an overview of the item and test review process, along with reflections from Virginia educators who have participated in this process.
CriteriaCommittee members are chosen based on the following criteria:
- Grade-level experience and content area expertise;
- In-depth knowledge of the SOL;
- Instructional/supervisory experience with students of varied learning styles, abilities, and aptitudes, including students with disabilities and students with limited English proficiency; and
- Balanced regional representation.
ResponsibilitiesCommittee members selected for SOL Assessment Committees are expected to:
- Serve a one-year term and attend all daily scheduled meetings in their entirety (see schedule-This is a PDF document.);
- Sign a Non-Disclosure/Conflict of Interest Agreement;
- Participate in committee meetings scheduled by the Virginia Department of Education;
- Examine test items to confirm a match with the SOL;
- Review test items for appropriateness and fairness;
- Examine field test data for potential test items; and
- Recommend whether items are to be included in the test item bank.