SOL Assessment Committees
The deadline for submitting nominations for SOL review committees is February 12, 2016.
VDOE is seeking nominations for the 2016 Standards of Learning Item and Test Review Committees. For more information and a review schedule, see Superintendent's Memo 279-15.
Virginia teachers, school administrators and content specialists participate in the development of SOL assessments by serving on committees that review test items and forms to ensure that they measure student knowledge accurately and fairly. VDOE encourages educators to participate in this process.
Criteria:Committee members are chosen based on the following criteria:
- Grade-level experience and content area expertise;
- In-depth knowledge of the SOL;
- Instructional/supervisory experience with students of varied learning styles, abilities, and aptitudes, including students with disabilities and students with limited English proficiency; and
- Balanced regional representation.
Responsibilities:Committee members selected for SOL Assessment Committees are expected to:
- Serve a one-year term and attend all daily scheduled meetings in their entirety (see schedule (PDF));
- Sign a Non-Disclosure/Conflict of Interest Agreement;
- Participate in committee meetings scheduled by the Virginia Department of Education;
- Review the SOL test forms for alignment with the test blueprints;
- Examine test items to confirm a match with the SOL;
- Review test items for appropriateness and fairness;
- Examine field test data for potential test items; and
- Recommend whether items are to be included in the test item bank.