Professional Learning & Development
The Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) supports and encourages innovative practices to improve teaching and learning and all aspects of public education in the commonwealth’s 132 school divisions. The Professional Learning and Development portal connects educators, administrators and support services personnel to information about opportunities and resources developed by VDOE and non-profit organizations that provide professional learning opportunities for public school educators. The portal also provides a venue for school divisions to collaborate and share innovations and promising practices.
Professional Learning for Educators
VDOE Chief Academic Officer Steven M. Constantino discusses professional learning for educators and how professional learning differs from professional development.
Highlighted Resources & Initiatives
VDOE’s Professional Learning Calendar includes professional learning and development opportunities for educators, administrators and other school employees presented by the department and by non-profit organizations and institutions. Participation in some VDOE-sponsored opportunities may be limited to school-based teams of current public school employees authorized to attend by their division superintendent.
VDOE is supporting school divisions as they develop performance-based assessments that measure 21st-century skills, such as critical thinking and creativity as well as content knowledge. This support includes regional and statewide professional learning opportunities and the development of research based tools and templates. Performance based assessments are part of the commonwealth’s effort to create a balanced assessment system that encourages deeper learning and supports the attributes described in the Board of Education’s Profile of a Virginia Graduate.
VDOE encourages school divisions to collaborate and share best and promising practices within their study regions and statewide through the professional learning network. All submissions must be approved by the division superintendent or his or her designee.
Additional Professional Learning & Development Resources
Visit these topics for professional learning and development opportunities provided by VDOE.
- Adult Education Professional Development
- Attendance and Truancy Professional Learning
- CTE Professional Development Page
- Economics & Personal Finance Professional Development
- English & Reading Professional Development Resources
- ESEA Technical Assistance Academies
- History & Social Science Professional Development Resources
- Mathematics Professional Development Resources
- Pupil Transportation Training & Professional Development
- Science Professional Development Resources
- School Improvement Technical Assistance Resources for Divisions / Schools
- School Nutrition Professional Development
- Special Education Technical Assistance & Professional Development
- Speech Language Impairment Professional Development