Emergency First Aid, CPR & AED Certification or Training
Every person seeking initial licensure or renewal of a license shall provide evidence of completion of certification or training in emergency first aid, cardiopulmonary resuscitation, and the use of automated external defibrillators. The certification or training program shall (i) be based on the current national evidence-based emergency cardiovascular care guidelines for cardiopulmonary resuscitation and the use of an automated external defibrillator, such as a program developed by the American Heart Association or the American Red Cross, and (ii) include hands-on practice of the skills necessary to perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation. The Board shall provide a waiver for this requirement for any person with a disability whose disability prohibits such person from completing the certification or training.
The following must be included on official documentation submitted to the licensure office by an individual:
- Individual’s full name (matching the name on licensure forms and the individual’s license, if applicable).
- Title or description of training or certification completed that clearly indicates that all three components were included:
- emergency first aid,
- CPR including hands-on practice, and
- use of AEDs.
- Date the training or certification was completed.
- Signature and title of the individual providing the training or certification OR a printed certificate from the organization or group that provided the training or certification. Legible copies of wallet-sized certification cards or other sized certifications, containing the above information, from organizations providing current national evidence-based emergency cardiovascular care for cardiopulmonary resuscitation and the use of an automated external defibrillator, such as a program developed by the American Heart Association or the American Red Cross will be accepted.
Evidence of Meeting Completion Requirements
Virginia School Divisions and Accredited Nonpublic Schools submitting initial requests for licenses and/or licensure renewals on behalf of employees will be required to verify that these individuals have provided evidence of completion of certification or training. Documentation must be kept on file in the school division or accredited nonpublic school.
Individuals submitting an initial application for a license or an application for license renewal must submit official documentation providing evidence that all three topics (emergency first aid, CPR including hands-on practice, and use of AEDs) were included in the certification or training.
Individuals completing a Virginia approved program will need to provide documentation to the college or university. The institution of higher education will need to verify the completion of the requirement when submitting the application for an initial license.
Any person with a disability whose disability prevents him or her from completing the certification or training may submit a request for a waiver from the new requirement.
For more information, please read: