Student Conduct & Discipline
The Board of Education provides guidelines and model policies to aid local school boards in the development and implementation of codes of student conduct and related policies.
The guidelines and model policies include:
- Criteria for the removal of a student from a class, the use of suspension, expulsion, and exclusion as disciplinary measures, the grounds for suspension and expulsion and exclusion, and the procedures to be followed in such cases, including proceedings for such suspension, expulsion, and exclusion decisions and all applicable appeals processes;
- Standards, consistent with state, federal and case laws, for school board policies on alcohol and drugs, gang-related activity, hazing, vandalism, trespassing, threats, search and seizure, disciplining of students with disabilities, intentional injury of others, self-defense, bullying, dissemination of such policies to students, their parents, and school personnel; and
- Standards for in-service training of school personnel in and examples of the appropriate management of student conduct and student offenses in violation of school board policies.
- Student Conduct Policy Guidelines (PDF)
- Guidelines for the Development of Policies and Procedures for Managing Student Behaviors In Emergency Situations in Virginia Public Schools (PDF)
- Guide to Local Alternative Education Options for Suspended and Expelled Students in the Commonwealth (PDF) – Virginia Commission on Youth (2008)
- A Parent’s Guide to Understanding Student Discipline Policies and Practices (PDF)
Students with Disabilities
- Guidance Document on Manifestation Determination (PDF)
- Functional Behavioral Assessment (FBA) Guidelines (PDF)
- Discipline of Children With Disabilities (PDF)