Student Support & Conduct
The Virginia Board of Education has approved the Model Guidance for Positive, Preventive Code of Student Conduct Policy and Alternatives to Suspension, a blueprint for school boards in revising local policies, systems, and practices related to student conduct and school climate. The Model Guidance represents another initiative to embrace Virginia is for Learners. It focuses on ensuring equity and establishing prevention and intervention in a tiered system of supports. The Model Guidance also provides references to relevant Code of Virginia statutes and includes resources for developing alternatives to suspension. Local school board policies should be consistent with, but may be more stringent than, the guidelines of the Board (Code of Virginia § 22.1-279.6). For support or further information, contact the Office of Student Services.
- Model Guidance for Positive, Preventive Code of Student Conduct Policy and Alternatives to Suspension-This is a Word document.
- Model Guidance for Positive, Preventive Code of Student Conduct Policy and Alternatives to Suspension-This is a PDF document.
- Guidelines for the Development of Policies and Procedures for Managing Student Behaviors In Emergency Situations in Virginia Public Schools (PDF)
- Guide to Local Alternative Education Options for Suspended and Expelled Students in the Commonwealth (PDF) – Virginia Commission on Youth (2008)
Students with Disabilities
- Guidance Document on Manifestation Determination (PDF) – Document currently under revision
- Functional Behavioral Assessment (FBA) Guidelines (PDF)
- Discipline of Children With Disabilities (PDF)