Non -Title I AMO Schools – Improvement Plan Required
Virginia, under the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 (ESEA) flexibility waiver granted on June 29, 2012, has established annual measurable objectives (AMOs) designed to reduce proficiency gaps between high- and low-performing schools within six years.
Per the provisions of the ESEA flexibility waiver, schools that do not meet the AMOs for subgroups must develop and implement improvement plans. The plans should focus specifically on the interventions for those students at risk of not passing a Standards of Learning (SOL) assessment including English language learners (ELL) and students with disabilities.
The flexibility waiver provisions specify different requirements for Title I and non-Title I schools with subgroups not meeting AMOs. Below is information about the requirements and support that will be provided by the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) for non- Title I schools (fully accredited; neither focus nor priority).
- Non-Title I schools and non-Title I high schools not meeting the AMOs or federal graduation indicator (FGI) are required to create a school improvement plan that includes the following required components:
- An identification process (including ongoing conversations with instructional leadership teams and data points to be used) for all students at risk of failing or in need of targeted interventions;
- A tiered, differentiated intervention process to assign research-based interventions aligned with the individual needs of identified students (the process includes a description of how interventions are selected and assigned to students as well as the frequency and duration of interventions for Tier 2 and Tier 3 students);
- A monitoring process (including a multidisciplinary team that meets regularly to review student intervention outcome data and identifies “triggers” and next steps for unsuccessful interventions) for targeted intervention students to ensure fidelity and effectiveness.
- Records agendas and minutes of school leadership team meetings.
- Non-Title I schools and non-Title I high schools not meeting the AMOs or federal graduation indicator (FGI) are not required to create school improvement plans using Indistar or use the Virginia Early Warning System (VEWS) tool. However, school leaders may elect to ensure compliance with federal waiver provisions by creating these plans in Indistar. Non-Title I schools may view the recorded training series on the use of Indistar for school improvement planning.
- It is the responsibility of the school division to monitor school improvement plans for Non-Title I schools not meeting the AMOs or federal graduation indicator. The school and school division must be prepared to demonstrate evidence of a planning process that includes the required components.
- All required components of the plan, including minutes and agendas of school leadership team meetings, are subject to the Freedom of Information Act and should not contain names of individual students or data that can be used to identify students.
- Improving School Performance for All Children (PDF) – presentation to help schools prepare for the journey of school improvement, identify components of an effective improvement process and provide strategies to help sustain improvement efforts.
- Recorded video training sessions on the use of Indistar (optional for non-Title I schools).
- Frequently Asked Questions About Non-Title I Schools (Fully Accredited; Neither Focus Nor Priority) With Subgroups Not Meeting Annual Measurable Objectives (Word)
- October 2013 Webinar on Improvement School Requirements (PPT)