School Counseling & Advisement
Kersey Creek Elementary School (KCES) in Hanover County has been named as a Recognized ASCA Model Program (RAMP) School of Distinction by the American School Counselor Association (ASCA). KCES is one of the first schools in the region to receive this honor, as well as one of only six schools in the nation to achieve School of Distinction status for 2016-2017. The RAMP designation recognizes schools that are committed to delivering a comprehensive, data-driven school counseling program, and an exemplary educational environment. Pictured from left to right: Lisa Thompson, Principal, Kersey Creek Elementary, Paige Abasolo, School Counselor, Kersey Creek Elementary, and Karla Allen, Coordinator of Counseling Services for Hanover County Public Schools.
The Virginia Department of Education, in collaboration with Henrico, York, and Fairfax Counties, as well as the Virginia School Counselor Association, has created an evaluation tool for school counselors. The School Counselor Summative Performance Report is intended as a tool for administrators and directors to provide school counselors with an assessment of their professional performance.
School counseling programs support the Standards of Learning by providing guidance to students in their academic, career, and personal and social development. School counselors collaborate with parents, teachers, administrators and others to promote learning and help students establish and achieve their education, career, and personal goals. School counselors provide leadership to ensure that students benefit from effective strategies and services aligned with the Standards for School Counseling Programs in Virginia Public Schools. The standards are organized by grade level under the following goals:
- Academic Development – Students will acquire the academic preparation essential to choose from a variety of educational, training, and employment options upon completion of secondary school.
- Career Development – Students will investigate the world of work in order to make informed career decisions.
- Social/Emotional – Students will acquire an understanding of, and respect for, self and others, and the skills to be responsible citizens.
- Standards for School Counseling Programs in Virginia Public Schools (K-12) (PDF)
- Regulations Regarding School Guidance and Counseling Services in the Public Schools of Virginia
- Virginia Licensure Regulations for School Counselors preK-12
- Virginia Graduation Requirements
School Counselor Summative Performance Report: A Tool for Evaluating Professional School Counselors
Comprehensive school counseling programs are driven by data, based on standards in academic, career, and social/emotional development, and promote and enhance the learning process of all students. It is important that school counselors are utilized and evaluated on standards and competencies directly related to the work for which they have been trained. Professional school counselors should be an integral part of your overall school mission and vision and a comprehensive and developmental school counseling program, aligned to state and national standards, can improve student achievement and outcomes.
- Play School Counselor Summative Performance Report Introduction Video
- School Counselor Summative Performance Report Document (Word)
- Academic and Career Plan
- Standards of Accreditation
- Graduation (Diploma) Seals of Achievement
- Board of Education Approved Courses to Satisfy Graduation Requirements for the Standard, Standard Technical, Advanced Studies, Advanced Technical, and Modified Standard Diplomas in Virginia Public Schools (Effective with Ninth-Grade Class of 2010-2011) (PDF)
- Secondary School Transcript Regulations (PDF)
- Sample Secondary School Transcript Template (Word)
- Student Records
- Virginia Wizard
- Virginia Career View
- Career & Technical Education
- Virginia Scholarships
- State Council for Higher Education in Virginia (SCHEV)
- Virginia’s College Guide for Students with Disabilities (PDF)
- R U "College and Career" Ready? Elevate your learning (PDF)
- Career Planning Guide
- Prevention Strategies and Programs
- Student and Family Services
- Student Conduct and Discipline
- Safety and Crisis Management
- Comprehensive Services Act for At-Risk Youth and Families
- Military Child Education Coalition (MCEC)
- Virginia Counselors Association
- Virginia School Counselor Association
- Virginia Alliance for School Counseling (VASC)
- American School Counselor Association
- American Counseling Association
- Virginia Career Development Association