COVID-19 Resources for Schools to Plan & Prepare
Health Promotion Strategies
Schools can implement proactive health strategies to reduce disease transitions within the school setting. These include good hygiene practices such as
- handwashing, management of cold symptoms, proper rest, and nutrition;
- enhanced facilities monitoring (bathrooms, buses, cafeteria, and media/library centers);
- sanitizing classroom toys, frequently used classroom equipment/manipulatives; and
- monitoring school absences and communication with parents regarding the local policy for students who are ill and/or returning to school.
Center for Disease Control, Information for Schools: Plan and Prepare
- Interim Guidance for Implementing Safety Practices for Critical Infrastructure Workers Who May Have Had Exposure to a Person with Suspected or Confirmed COVID-19-This is a PDF document.
- Quick reference of the Do’s and Don’ts for employers and employees related to COVID-19 exposures-This is a PDF document.
- CDC, Interim Guidance for School Settings – The guidance is based on what is currently known about the transmission and severity of coronavirus disease.
- CDC, Interim Guidance for Administrators of US Childcare Programs and K-12 Schools to Plan, Prepare, and Respond to Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)– Revisions made 3/12/2020 to reflect the clarification of mitigation strategies based on level of community transmission of COVID-19 and presence of COVID-19 cases within the school.
- CDC, Get Your Schools Ready for Pandemic Flu (2017) – Schools can use this guide to develop a new contingency plan or modify an existing emergency operations plan that reflects considerations specific to each educational setting.
- CDC, Pre-School and Childcare Center Checklist-This is a PDF document. – This Checklist will serve as a tool to assist school administrators to plan and prepare for Pandemic Flu in the preschool or childcare settings.
- CDC, Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Situation Summary: Cases in the U.S . – This site updated each day reflects the current number of positively diagnosed cases of COVID-19 in the United States
- CDC, Recommended Cleaning Products and Processes – The CDC has provided Interim recommendations for clang homes with suspected or confirmed cases of COVID-19.
- CDC, Information for Travel – This site provides information for all methods of International travel and travel within the continental United States. Click on the World map, COVID-19 Risk Assessment by country to identify parameters for re-entry into the country.
State & Local Resources to Aid Schools in Planning and Preparing
- Contact Tracing for COVID-19 in K-12 Schools: How to Prepare and What to Expect Document-This is a PDF document.
- Contact Tracing for COVID-19 in K-12 Schools: How to Prepare and What to Expect Infographic-This is a PDF document.
- VDOE Recommended COVID-19 Shut Down Strategies for Virginia Public School Facilities-This is a Word document. – Guidance document from VDOE that contains school building shutdown strategies in response to the COVID-19 pandemic and how to handle classroom and school equipment over longer-term shutdowns.
- VDH COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions-This is a PDF document. – This document addresses general concerns about COVID-19 and addresses Virginia specific questions. It provides updated guidance for healthcare providers, business, schools and long term care facilities; address isolation, social distancing and movement restrictions, disease prevention and treatment; care for immune-compromised populations, those with chronic disease or pregnancy; and provides additional resources for the community.
- VDH Guidance for K-12 Schools-This is a PDF document. – Guidance for Educational Administrators on the COVID-19 Outbreak (updated 2/27/20)
- VDH Surveillance & Investigation: Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) – VDH website contains information and resources about COVID-19 for schools, individuals and families, businesses, health care professionals, travelers and mass gatherings.
- VDH Fact Sheet – This Fact sheet provides general information about origin and transmission of COVID-19, symptoms, diagnosis and prevention strategies.
- VDH Local Health Districts – This resource provides a map, location and contact information for helath departments across the Commonwealth.
- VDOE Model Policy to Address Bullying in Virginia's Public Schools – This is available to assist school’s response in addressing potential hostilities.
Graphics & Videos
- CDC Stop the Spread of Germs – Help prevent the spread of respiratory diseases like COVID-19.
- VDH Infographic Coronavirus Symptoms
- CDC Share the Facts about COVID-19
- Coronavirus Kid's Flyer
- Graphic Comic Explainer in English and Chinese
- Brainpop Video on Coronavirus