Security Equipment Grants
The Virginia Public School Authority (VPSA) issued $6 million in equipment notes in conjunction with the existing Virginia Public School Authority technology notes program. Proceeds of these additional notes will be used to help offset related local costs associated with the purchasing of qualifying security equipment to improve and help ensure the safety of students attending public schools in Virginia. See 2018-2019 School Security Grants Program Application – Superintendent’s Memo #143-18 June 1, 2018
2018-2019 Application Process
School divisions are eligible to receive up to $100,000 each fiscal year through a competitive grant process. To be considered, grant applications must be submitted to VDOE between June 15, 2018 and August 1, 2018 by 5 p.m. Applications can be accessed through the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) Single Sign-On for Web-based Systems (SSWS) portal under the Security Equipment Grant Management (SEGM) application.
- Guidelines for School Divisions Applying to the School Security Equipment Grants Program-This is a Word document.
- Application Process for the 2018-2019 School Security Equipment Grants Program Due Date: August 1, 2018-This is a Word document.
- Instructions for submitting application through SSWS (SEGM)-This is a Word document.
The funds are to be used to purchase qualified security equipment that will be installed in eligible schools. Grant money cannot be used to pay for security equipment not included or described in the grant application, for extended warranties or service contracts agreements. Each school receiving funding must remain open for at least five years with no planned renovations/additions scheduled during that time that would cause the purchased security equipment to become obsolete.
In order to facilitate the installation of school security equipment during the summer months and to expedite the spend-down of these Notes funds, school divisions and regional programs may apply for grants to reimburse school security equipment expenditures incurred on or after May 22, 2018. Such projects must otherwise meet all other program guidelines, and only approved /awarded projects will be reimbursed.
Local Match Requirement
School divisions submitting applications are required to provide a local match of 25 percent of the grant amount. For school divisions with a composite index of local ability-to-pay less than 0.2000 – including any division participating in a regional vocational center, special education center, alternative education center or academic year Governor’s School – the Superintendent of Public Instruction is authorized to reduce the local match. The Virginia School for the Deaf and Blind is exempt from the match requirement.
A Request for Reimbursement form must be completed and submitted to the VDOE Office of Support Services with documentation showing the school name, purchases made, and total cost of the qualifying equipment purchased. Awarded grant funds will be maintained and disbursed from accounts administered by the State Non-Arbitrage Program (SNAP) under VPSA. Purchases of security equipment must be made within six months of notification.
- 2014-2015 Security Equipment Grant Reimbursement Form (XLS)
- 2015-2016 Security Equipment Grant Reimbursement Form (XLS)
- 2016-2017 Security Equipment Grant Reimbursement Form (XLS)
- 2017-2018 Security Equipment Grant Reimbursement Form (XLS)
- 2018-2019 Security Equipment Grant Reimbursement Form (XLS)
Once the reimbursement request is approved, written certification will be sent to SNAP for reimbursement payment. SNAP will make the payment within 30 days of receipt of the certification.
- Electronic Funds Transfer Form (PDF) for VPSA Security Equipment withdrawal
Revisions to Approved Applications
It may be necessary for a school division to revise their original grant application(s) approved for funding. A reason to revise an application may be to add additional eligible equipment to expend a remaining balance in the grant when the original equipment requested cost less than anticipated.
Revisions to the approved applications may be made through the SSWS portal for the 2018-2019 SEGM grant application. In order to make changes to an application, an SSWS account is required. If the individual making the change to the application does not have an SSWS SEGM account, they will need to request access through their local SSWS account manager. They will need to receive “Data Entry” access in the Security Equipment Grant Management (SEGM) application.
- News Release, October 6, 2017 – Governor McAuliffe Awards $6 Million in New School Security Equipment Grants
- News Release, September 15, 2016 – Governor McAuliffe Awards $6 Million in New School Security Equipment Grants
- News Release, September 16, 2015 – Governor McAuliffe Announces $6 Million in School Security Equipment Grants
- News Release, September 25, 2014 – Governor McAuliffe Awards $6 Million in School Security Equipment Grants
- News Release, September 3, 2013 – Governor McDonnell Awards $6 Million in School Security Equipment Grants
If you have questions, please contact the Division of Support Services at 804-225-2037 or 804-225-2035 by phone or email: Vijay.Ramnarain@doe.virginia.gov or Hunter.Barnes@doe.virginia.gov or Ann.Belanger@doe.virginia.gov.