Private Schools & Home Schooling
- Compulsory Attendance and Home Instruction Related Statutes (PDF) – Effective July 1, 2012
- 2012 Legislation Affecting Home Instruction
- Home Instruction Handbook – Information for Parents (PDF) – Revised July 12, 2012
- Driver Education Information – Description of correspondence course approval process and related forms
- Sample Notice of Intent to Provide Home Instruction (PDF) – Effective July 1, 2012
A number of Virginia laws concern private school transportation issues including opportunities for public schools to provide transportation for private school students.
- Local school districts may enter into agreements with private schools to provide transportation but are not required to do so. Code of Virginia § 22.1-176.1.
- Parochial and private schools may not hire a school bus driver unless the individual meets the qualifications required of public school bus drivers and presents the necessary documentation. Code of Virginia §22.1-180.
- School buses transporting pupils to and from private or parochial schools, may not discharge pupils in a manner that the child must cross a highway with two or more roadways separated by a physical barrier or unpaved area, or a highway with five or more lanes with the center lane a flush median marked for turning traffic only. Code of Virginia §46.2-918
- Don't use 15-passenger vans for school transportation
- Pupil Transportation In Vehicles Not Meeting Federal School Bus Standards (PDF)
- The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s Guideline 17
- School Bus Driver In-Service Safety Series
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
- Choosing the Correct School Bus – Pre-School Transportation
- Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA)
- School Bus Safety for Parents & Students (PDF)
- Guide for Selecting a Vehicle for Your Next School Activity Trip, Choosing Charter Transportation – from The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
You may also be interested in...
Statistics: Home Schooled Students & Religious Exemptions Reports – the number of students who have obtained an excuse from school attendance by reason of bona fide religious training or belief as well as the number of students whose parents have notified the division superintendent of their intention to provide home instruction.