VDOE provides training, technical assistance and resources to local school divisions in providing quality instruction and supports to students with disabilities as well as supporting low-performing schools and school divisions to implement research-based effective practices for students with disabilities.
Results Driven Accountability
- Results Driven Accountability (RDA)
– RDA is intended to balance focus on improving educational results and outcomes for students with disabilities. RDA provides greater supports to local education agencies in improving results for children and youth with disabilities, and their families.
Training and Technical Assistance
- SOL Reporting Resources to Inform Instruction and Remediation – Recorded versions of professional development opportunities provided to division and school staff regarding the appropriate use of SOL score reports and assessment data.
- Eligibility Determination Conference – A primary focus of VDOE's implementation of Results Driven Accountability (RDA) is eligibility determination. Eligibility determination is the process for determining whether or not a child qualifies for special education services and meets the state criteria for identification in one or more of the 14 disability categories. This link provides information and resources related to the statewide training performed in 2014-2015.
- Language & Culture Videos
Program Improvement Training Topics
Supporting Students with Disabilities in Mathematics
Scheduling Students with Disabilities for Success
- Corrective Action Plan (Word) – This blank template is used by LEAs to establish and track improvement activities. The goals may be sorted into two areas: 1. Those driven by results indicators, and 2. Those necessary to meet compliance with special education regulations.
- School Improvement and Reform – VDOE assists schools in which students are achieving at levels below federal and state accountability standards.
- Differentiated Technical Assistance and Training Topics
- Instructional Interventions That Have Proven to Be Successful with Low-Achieving Students (PDF) – The Regulations Establishing Accrediting Standards for Public Schools in Virginia (SOA), effective September 28, 2000, require schools accredited with warning in English or mathematics to adopt and implement instructional interventions that have a proven track record of success at raising student achievement. The Board of Education is required to publish a list of recommended instructional interventions, which may be amended from time to time.
- Virginia Tiered Systems of Support (VTSS) – VTSS is a framework and philosophy that provides resources and support to help every student to be successful in academics and behavior. It begins with systemic change at the division, school and classroom level that utilizes evidence-based, system-wide practices (response to intervention, positive behavior interventions and supports and content literacy curriculum) to provide a quick response to academic and behavioral needs.
- Student Assistance Programming – Student Assistance Programming goals are to prevent problems through education and address existing problems by directing students to school-based or community services providers as may be appropriate.
- TeacherDirect – Updates from VDOE regarding SOL resources and information targeted to classroom teachers
- Virginia Department of Education’s Training and Technical Assistance Centers – VDOE's state-wide projects with TTACs provide professional development and support designed to assist schools in addressing accountability and improvement goals for students with disabilities.
- TTAC Online – Information and resources regarding assessment, instruction and training specific to students with disabilities