Assessments & Accommodations
It is the intent of the Commonwealth of Virginia to include all students with disabilities in the assessment component of Virginia's accountability system. IDEA 2004 regulations require that all students with disabilities participate in the state's accountability system.
Students with disabilities may participate in the Standards of Learning (SOL) assessments and Virginia Alternate Assessment Program (VAAP).
When determining participation in Virginia's Accountability System, all students with disabilities first must be considered for participation in the SOL assessments. A student's IEP or 504 Plan must specify the student's participation in the state accountability system as follows:
- participation in the Standards of Learning test with no accommodations;
- participation in the Standards of Learning test with accommodations; or
- participation in the Virginia Alternate Assessment Program (VAAP)
- Participation & Inclusion - includes guidelines for assessment participation and special test accommodations
- Virginia Alternate Assessment Program (VAAP)
- Alternative and Alternate Assessment section of T/TAC Online—This section includes information on the various alternative and alternate assessment options for the state of Virginia.
- U.S Department of Education's Office of Special Education Programs—Includes information on regulations, guidance and state plans regarding assessment options for students with disabilities.