Child Development & Health
The physical, cognitive, social, and emotional growth that takes place in the first years of a child’s life sets the foundation for success or failure in learning and life. Early childhood is not only complex, it is critically important. To guide a child to reach his or her potential, it is essential to understand child development and every aspect of this remarkable process. Since development occurs within the context of family, community, culture, and relationships, it is essential to also understand how these factors may impact development.
Child Development Milestones
- Virginia’s Milestones of Early Childhood Development: A Guide to Young Children’s Learning and Development, from Birth to Kindergarten-This is a PDF document.. This guide provides a set of child development indicators and strategies for children up through kindergarten. It is a comprehensive resource for better understanding and supporting a continuum of young children’s growth and development across various domain areas and is of value for those who work with and care about young children.
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention Developmental Milestones - The CDC provides a comprehensive list of developmental milestones for children up through age five. The website includes a list of indicators in addition to a photo and video library.
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention Milestones Tracker App - From birth to 5 years, a child should reach milestones in how he plays, learns, speaks, acts and moves. This app will help track a child’s development and provide information so the family or caregiver can act early if there is a concern. The app provides summaries of the child’s development as well as tips and activities.
- Order form for "From Crib to Kindergarten: A Guide to Your Child’s Development"-This is a Word document. From Crib to Kindergarten is an interactive wheel that outlines typical child development from 0-60 months of age. The Developmental Wheel can be shared with parents or professionals who may benefit from learning more about development. The Developmental Wheel is free to local educational agencies and may be purchased by other agencies.
Child Health and Development Resources
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention Early Childhood Education
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Learn the Signs. Act Early
- Health Bites (Virginia Department of Health)
- Center on the Developing Child Harvard University
- Zero to Three Behavior & Development