Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
"Traumatic brain injury" means an acquired injury to the brain caused by an external physical force, resulting in total or partial functional disability or psychosocial impairment, or both, that adversely affects a child's educational performance. Traumatic brain injury applies to open or closed head injuries resulting in impairments in one or more areas, such as cognition; language; memory; attention; reasoning; abstract thinking; judgment; problem-solving; sensory, perceptual, and motor abilities; psychosocial behavior; physical functions; information processing; and speech. Traumatic brain injury does not apply to brain injuries that are congenital or degenerative, or to brain injuries induced by birth trauma. (34 CFR 300.8(c)(12))
- What is Assistive Technology? (PDF)
- Assistive Technology: A Framework for Consideration and Assessment (PDF)
- Brain Injury Association of Virginia – Information and personal support for individuals, families, and professionals.
- Brain Injury and the Schools: A Guide for Educators (PDF) – Overview of brain injury and its cognitive, behavioral, and physical consequences, with resources for teaching and non-teaching personnel.
- Brain Injury Partners Navigating the School System
- Brain Injury Resource Center
- Center for Neuro Skills
- Consortium for Handheld Technology
- Council for Exceptional Children (CEC) – general information about children and youth with disabilities.
- Early Intervention (Part C, IDEA) services
- I’m Determined
- National Dissemination Center for Children with Disabilities (NICHCY) – Information on disabilities in infants, toddlers, children and youth, IDEA, NCLB and effective educational practices.
- National Resource Center for Traumatic Brain Injury
- University of Virginia TBI Network
- University of Virginia Children’s Hospital - Neurology
- Traumatic Brain Injury.com is an internet resource for education, advocacy, research and support for brain injury surviviors, their families, and medical and rehabilitation professionals.
- Traumatic Brain Injury Survival Guide
- TTAC Online – A community linking people and resources to help children and youth with disabilities.
- Virginia Assistive Technology System (VATS)
- Virginia Department of Aging and Rehabilitation Services
- Woodrow Wilson Rehabilitation Center Brain Injury Services