Professional Development for SLPs
The professional development opportunities provided below are provided for use by SLPs to increase knowledge and skills. These offerings were developed by the Virginia Department of Education and may be used to satisfy continuing education requirements for Virginia SLPs and meet ASHA certification maintenance hour (CMH) requirements for those seeking to renew their ASHA CCC-SLP.
Individuals are responsible for maintaining all documentation of professional development activities. Individuals may participate in the knowledge check for each offering and receive a certificate if the passing score is over 80 percent. These offerings may not be submitted to the ASHA CE registry but may be maintained by the individual to meet CMH requirements.
- Evaluation and Eligibility for Speech-Language Services in Schools – ASHA Perspectives: publication of Special Interest Group 16: School Based Issues
- Beyond the Words – VDOE and ODU sponsored presentation by Dr. Carol Westby.
- Play Video: Overview Of Narrative Analysis
- Play Video: Macrostructure: Analyzing Episodes
- Play Video: Microstructure Analysis
Sampling Utterances & Grammatical Analysis Revisited (SUGAR)
- Play Video: Module 1 – Introduction to SUGAR
- Complete Knowledge Check after viewing Module 2
- Play Video: Module 2 – Transcribing & Analyzing Samples
- Knowledge Check for Modules 1 & 2 - coming soon
- Play Video: Module 3 – Noun Phrases
- Knowledge Check - coming soon
- Play Video: Module 4 – Verb Phrases
- Knowledge Check - coming soon
- Play Video: Module 5 – Sub Analysis
- SUGAR Modules 1-5
Speech Sound Detective
- Play Video: Part 1
- Play Video: Part 2
- Play Video: Part 3
- Phonological Processes—What Are They?
- Assessing Phonological Processes
- Remediation of Phonological Processes
These modules are free, however users must create or use an existing TTACONLINE login to participate. Certificates of completion are provided.
Dysphagia in the Schools
- An Introduction for SLPs – Topics covered in Module 1 include: review of normal swallow anatomy and development, “red flags” for dysphagia, and defining the role of the school-based SLP in dysphagia management.
- Module 1 Knowledge Check (Coming Soon)
- Screening and Evaluation by Speech-Language Pathologists (Part 2) – Topics covered in Module 2 include: a team approach to dysphagia assessment, goals and components of a swallow evaluation in the school setting, ASHA guidelines for swallow evaluation in the schools, and indications for referral for instrumental examination of the swallow.
- Module 2 Knowledge Check (Coming Soon)
- Understanding the Evaluation and Results (Part 3) – Topics covered in Module 3 include: options for instrumental examination of swallowing, common issues in managing swallowing disorders in the schools, and comprehending medical findings relative to swallowing issues managed in schools.
- Intervention and Management Decisions (Part 4) – Topics covered in Module 4 include: key components of the treatment of swallowing disorders in school aged children, common dysphagia treatment options, and critical issues to consider when treating swallowing disorders in the schools.
- Module 4 Knowledge Check (Coming Soon)