Online Management of Education Grant Awards (OMEGA)
OMEGA, VDOE’s automated grant application and reimbursement system, eliminates paper submissions associated with grant applications and reimbursement requests. OMEGA enables grant recipients to:
- Review award balances for all open awards;
- Prepare and submit grant applications electronically;
- Use a consistent system for preparing, approving, and submitting grant reimbursement and object code transfer requests;
- Enter data via file upload or online forms; and
- Receive bulletin board type communications.
Grants Accessible through OMEGA
School divisions, state institutions of higher education, non-profit agencies, and state agencies are able to use OMEGA. This system allows grantees to view award balances, submit and view reimbursement requests and submit object code transfer requests for numerous federal grants and some state funded grant awards.
VDOE administers federal programs such as Title I Improving Basic Programs and Title III that support instruction and services to specific groups of students. These include programs authorized by the Elementary and Secondary education Act (ESEA), the most recent reauthorization of which is also known as the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001.
Additional federal awards administered in OMEGA are the Carl D. Perkins Career and Technical Education Act, reauthorized in 2006, providing federal funds to increase focus on the academic achievement of career and technical education students and strengthen connections between secondary and postsecondary education. The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), a federal law ensuring services to children with disabilities, is available in OMEGA as well as awards funded under Adult Basic Education.
Some of the state funded grant awards available through OMEGA are Plugged in VA, Race to GED, State Operated Programs and Project Graduation. For information on these and other federal grants, see Federal Programs.
Grant Award Notification (GAN)
VDOE notifies an award recipient by sending the Grant Award Notification (GAN) to the grantee. The GAN includes the name, address, and payee number of the grant recipient, grant description, grant authority, award amount and award number. Other important information available on the GAN is the period of award, project code, and CFDA number. The special instruction/conditions section includes instruction about obtaining reimbursement for allowable expenditures under a grant award.
Obtaining Access to OMEGA
Grant recipients access OMEGA via Single Sign-On for Web Systems (SSWS), VDOE’s secure web portal through which users access all VDOE web applications. The grant recipient’s SSWS manager establishes an individual user’s SSWS login, password, and email address in SSWS. After the SSWS login is created, an OMEGA permissions form is submitted indicating the specific responsibilities and access to be granted. Please use one of the forms below to add or change user access:
- OMEGA User Permission Form (OP1) (XLS) – This form allows grantees to assign OMEGA permissions to a new user, change a current user's permissions, or remove a user's permissions. The OP1 form includes all of the awards and request types that can currently be processed in OMEGA.
- OMEGA User Permission Form (OP-VDOE) (XLS) – This form allows Virginia Department of Education personnel to assign OMEGA permissions to a new user, change a current user's permissions, or remove a user's permissions. The OP-VDOE form includes all of the awards and request types that can currently be processed in OMEGA.
Upon completion, please email the form to OMEGA.firstname.lastname@example.org.