McKinney-Vento Homeless Education
The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) provides $70 million in additional funding for services for homeless students through the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act. Virginia is receiving $1.1 million in additional funding and will distribute sub-grants to school divisions by August 8, 2009 through a process to be announced. More about the Virginia Education for Homeless Children and Youth Program (Project HOPE).
Uses of Funds
The McKinney-Vento ARRA funds are a one-time source of funds that supplement the regular FY 2009 appropriation. McKinney-Vento ARRA funds must be used for activities authorized under Title VII-B of the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act, such as:
- Supplemental educational services, such as tutoring and other academic enrichment programs;
- Expedited evaluations for various educational services;
- Professional development activities for educators and pupil services personnel working with homeless students;
- Health referral services;
- Defraying the excess cost of transportation in order to enable students to attend the school of origin;
- Early childhood education programs for pre-school-aged homeless children;
- Services and assistance to attract, engage, and retain homeless children and youth and unaccompanied youth in public school programs;
- Before- and after-school, mentoring, and summer programs with educational activities;
- Payment of fees and costs associated with tracking, obtaining and transferring records of homeless children and youth;
- Education and training for parents of homeless children and youth about rights and resources;
- Development of coordination between schools and agencies providing services;
- Provision of pupil services (including violence prevention counseling) and referrals for such services;
- Activities to address needs that may arise from domestic violence;
- Adaptation of space and purchase of supplies for non-school facilities to provide services listed above;
- Provision of school supplies, including those to be distributed at shelters or other appropriate locations; and
- Other extraordinary or emergency assistance needed to enable homeless students to attend school.
- April 10, 2009 (USED) – Guidance on McKinney-Vento Homeless Children and Youth Program funds made available under ARRA (PDF) - questions and answers.