State Board Recognizes Additional Schools for Excellence and Distinguished Achievement
RICHMOND, Va. –The Virginia Board of Education today recognized additional schools for academic excellence and distinguished achievement.
Four schools that previously received the Board of Education Distinguished Achievement Award will now receive the Board of Education Award for Academic Excellence.
The Board of Education Award for Academic Excellence is the second-highest recognition under the board’s three-level Virginia Index of Performance incentive program. The highest award is the Governor’s Award for Educational Excellence.
The four schools now receiving the Board of Education Award for Academic Excellence, by division, are as follows:
- Arlington County – Glebe Elementary
- Fairfax County – Keene Mill Elementary
- Lee County – St. Charles Elementary
- Loudoun County – Mill Run Elementary
In addition, 17 schools that were not recognized when Virginia Index of Performance awards were first announced in August are now receiving the Board of Education Distinguished Achievement Award. These schools, by division, are as follows:
- Danville – Forest Hills Elementary
- Fairfax County – Ravensworth Elementary and Sherman Elementary
- Grayson County – Baywood Elementary
- Henrico County – Jackson Davis Elementary
- King George County – Potomac Elementary
- Loudoun County – Arcola Elementary and Hutchison Farm Elementary
- Montgomery County – Falling Branch Elementary
- Prince William County – Victory Elementary
- Rockingham County – John W. Wayland Elementary
- Southampton County – Riverdale Elementary
- Virginia Beach – Glenwood Elementary, Landstown Elementary, North Landing Elementary, Rosemont Forest Elementary and W.T. Cooke Elementary
The newly recognized schools should have received bonus points for achievement on the fifth-grade reading Standards of Learning test when award determinations were first made. Once the omission was identified, the addition of the bonus points resulted in the schools qualifying for the awards listed.