Resources For The Media
The Office of Communications is available to assist the news media with information to accurately report on issues involving Virginia's public education system, the Virginia Department of Education and the Virginia Board of Education.
Charles Pyle, Director of Communications
Julie Grimes, Communications Manager
- Glossary of terms related to public education in Virginia
- Getting Around the VDOE website (PDF) – information on the site structure and a detailed outline of topics and subtopics that can be printed and kept as a reference
- Board Meetings – includes dates, agendas, minutes and summaries
- Education Legislation – includes legislative tracking reports and information on previous years’ General Assembly bills and resolutions related to education
- School, School Division & State Report Cards
- Accreditation & Federal Reports
- Graduation, Completion & Dropout Data
- Accountability & Virginia Public Schools (PDF) – a guide to understanding Virginia’s system for holding schools accountable for raising student achievement.
- School Division Efficiency Reviews
- School Division Locale Descriptions (PDF) (XLS)
- School Division School-Year Calendars (PDF) (XLS)
- Board of Education Annual Reports – The Board of Education reports annually to the governor and General Assembly on the condition and needs of Virginia’s public schools.
- Historical Overview of the SOL Program (PDF) – History of SOL program (originally published as Appendix A to the Board of Education’s 2013 Annual Report on the Conditions and Needs of the Public Schools in Virginia (PDF) )
- January 20, 2014, Presentation to House Education Committee (PDF) – Presentation on impact of Standards of Learning program and recent changes to the state assessment system
- Map of Virginia school divisions with Pre-Labor Day Waivers approved by the Board of Education (PDF)