Resources For The Media
The Office of Communications is available to assist the news media with information to accurately report on issues involving Virginia's public education system, the Virginia Department of Education and the Virginia Board of Education.
Office of Communications Media Contacts:
- Charles Pyle, Director of Communications
- Julie Grimes, Communications Manager
- Accountability & Virginia Public Schools (PDF) – a guide to understanding Virginia’s system for holding schools accountable for raising student achievement.
- Accreditation & Federal Reports
- Board Meetings – includes dates, agendas, minutes and summaries
- Board of Education Annual Reports – The Board of Education reports annually to the governor and General Assembly on the condition and needs of Virginia’s public schools.
- Historical Overview of the SOL Program (PDF) – History of SOL program (originally published as Appendix A to the Board of Education’s 2013 Annual Report on the Conditions and Needs of the Public Schools in Virginia (PDF) )
- January 20, 2014, Presentation to House Education Committee (PDF) – Presentation on impact of Standards of Learning program and recent changes to the state assessment system
- Education Legislation – includes legislative tracking reports and information on previous years’ General Assembly bills and resolutions related to education
- Glossary of terms related to public education in Virginia
- Graduation, Completion & Dropout Data
- Public School Division Openings and Waivers for 2017-2018
- School Division Efficiency Reviews
- School Division Locale Descriptions (PDF) (XLS)
- School Division School-Year Calendars (PDF) (XLS)
- School Quality Profiles (online report cards for schools and school divisions)