Mathematics Instructional Plans (MIPs)
- Co-teaching Mathematics Instructional Plans - 2016 SOL – These plans utilize the six common co-teaching approaches, and contain suggestions as to how co-teachers can effectively utilize the expertise of each teacher to enhance lessons and activities in a co-taught classroom.
- Mathematics Instructional Plans (MIPs) - 2016 SOL – formerly known as Enhanced Scope and Sequence Lessons, are now available for Grades K-8, Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, and Algebra, Functions and Data Analysis.
Change in 2016 Mathematics SOL Implementation Timeline
VDOE Mathematics Coordinator Tina Mazzacane discusses the recently announced delay of the introduction of state math tests based on the 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning until spring 2019. More information in Superintendent's Memo #043-18.
End-of-Course Mathematics SOL tests administered in the fall of 2018 will continue to assess the 2009 Mathematics Standards of Learning and include field test items measuring the 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning. For updated implementation timeline and additional information, go to Superintendent's Memo #043-18.
Title II B: Mathematics and Science Partnerships
Resources for science and mathematics teachers available through Title II B: Mathematics and Science Partnerships.
- Curriculum Frameworks
- Enhanced Scope & Sequence Sample Lesson Plans
- Test Blueprints
- Released Tests
- Practice Items
The Mathematics Standards of Learning identify essential academic content at each grade level for sequential learning. The content of the mathematics standards supports the following five goals for students: becoming mathematical problem solvers, communicating mathematically, reasoning mathematically, making mathematical connections and using mathematical representations to model and interpret practical situations.
Professional Development Resources
VDOE continues to provide professional development for school divisions and teachers to support the implementation of the Mathematics Standards of Learning. School divisions and teachers are encouraged to utilize the professional development resources to improve student achievement through quality instruction.
- 2017 Mathematics Standards of Learning (SOL) Institutes - VDOE provided professional development for school divisions and their teachers to support implementation of the 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning and Curriculum Framework. VDOE professional development resources support the use of high leverage mathematics teaching practices.
- 2009-2014 Mathematics Standards of Learning (SOL) Institutes - VDOE has provided targeted professional development through Mathematics Institutes since 2009. These institutes focused on the 2009 Mathematics Standards of Learning and were framed by the five process goals for students of becoming mathematical problem solvers, communicating mathematically, reasoning mathematically, making mathematical connections, and using mathematical representations to model and interpret practical situations. .
In addition to the standards, curriculum frameworks, enhanced scope and sequence lesson plans, test blueprints and released tests, other instructional resources include:
- Recorded VDOE Mathematics Webinars
- VDOE Resources Supporting Instruction, Assessment, and Professional Development in Mathematics-This is a PowerPoint document. (PPT) – describes online resources provided by the Virginia Department of Education to support instruction, effective assessment practices, and professional development in mathematics.
- VDOE Revision and Implementation of the 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning-This is a PowerPoint document. (PPT) – describes the focus for revision of the 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning and a timeline for implementation, along with information regarding the Crosswalk (Summary of Revisions) documents available on the Virginia Department of Education website.
- Technical Assistance on Selected SOL (PDF) – comments provided to frequently asked questions received by the VDOE regarding the 2009 Mathematics SOL
- ESS Sample Lesson Plans (2009 SOL) – searchable by keyword and SOL
- Mathematics Instructional Plans (2016 SOL) - formerly known as Enhanced Scope and Sequence Lessons, are now available for Grades K-8, Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, and Algebra, Functions and Data Analysis. These instructional plans include updated 2009 documents, as well as newly developed instructional plans aligned to the 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning. The Mathematics Instructional Plans assist teachers in aligning instruction with the 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning by providing examples of how the knowledge, skills and processes found in the SOL and Curriculum Framework can be presented to students in the classroom.
- Co-teaching Mathematics Instructional Plans (2016 SOL) – These plans utilize the six common co-teaching approaches, and contain suggestions as to how co-teachers can effectively utilize the expertise of each teacher to enhance lessons and activities in a co-taught classroom. These co-teaching plans were created and modified by a select group of Virginia teachers participating in the Excellence for Co-teaching Initiative. These plans align instruction with the expectations of the 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning, and were vetted by VDOE content and special education specialists.
- Instructional Videos for Teachers – videos provided as support for the implementation of the 2009 Mathematics Standards of Learning
- Mathematics Vocabulary Word Wall Cards
- Algebraic Properties (PDF) – A list of algebraic properties included in the 2009 Mathematics Standards of Learning in grades 3 - Algebra II
- SOL Vertical Articulation Technical Assistance Documents
- Mathematics K-12 Standards of Learning
- Instructional Resources Based on the 2001 Standards of Learning
- Mathematics and Science Partnership (MSP) Resources – Videos and curriculum products such as lesson plans, developed as part of Virginia MSP projects.
- Presidential Awards for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching – The Presidential Award for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching (PAEMST) is the highest recognition that a kindergarten through 12th-grade mathematics or science teacher may receive for outstanding teaching in the United States.
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM)
- Virginia Council of Teachers of Mathematics (VCTM)
Elementary School Instructional Resources
- K-3 Mathematics Achievement Sample Records – Schools maintain a record of achievement in mathematics for each K-3 student to monitor progress and to promote achievement on third-grade SOL tests. This record accompanies a student who transfers to a new school
- Mathematics Vocabulary Word Wall Cards
- K-5 Mathematics Module: Number and Number Sense – module designed to enhance teachers' content knowledge and their use of instructional strategies for teaching the number and number sense strand
- Virginia Animals and their Habitats – A model comprehensive, cross-curricular second-grade unit that addresses 40 grade-two Virginia Standards of Learning in science, mathematics, English, and history and social science.
Middle & High School Instructional Resources
- Algebra Readiness Initiative – information to prepare students for success in algebra
- Algeblocks Training – online training for teachers who either need an introduction to the use of Algeblocks or need to reacquaint themselves with the manipulative
- Technical Assistance Document for 2009 Algebra I Standard of Learning A.9 (PDF)
- Technical Assistance Document for 2009 Algebra II Standard of Learning AII.11 (PDF)
- Mathematics Vocabulary Word Wall Cards
Specific Course Information and Resources
- Mathematics Capstone Course Information – Guidance documents and links to instructional resources
- Economics and Personal Finance – Instructional resources to assist in meeting the requirements economics education and financial literacy requirements for all middle and high school students.
- Computer Mathematics: Using Graphing Calculators (Word) – teacher materials to aid schools in implementing a computer mathematics course using graphing calculators as the primary programming device
- Connecting Algebra and Biology Using Graphing Calculators (PDF)
This resource document is intended to assist classroom teachers of algebra and biology in implementing the Virginia Standards of Learning for mathematics and science.
Technology & Mathematics Resources
- Calculator Resources
- Scientific Calculator Lessons for Middle School Teachers (PDF) – manual for teachers with samples of mathematics and science lessons supporting the 2001 mathematics and the 2003 science standards using the state-approved scientific calculators
- Mathematics and the Texas Instruments Graphing Calculator – Worksheets to Accompany Videos (PDF)
This resource includes worksheets for six programs to accompany videos on the Virginia Mathematics Standards of Learning and the Texas Instrument Graphing Calculator.
- Using the CASIO 9850g+ Graphing Calculator with the Algebra SOL – Worksheets to Accompany Videos (PDF)
Worksheets and explanations contained on this Web page were designed to support teachers participating in the viewing of the DOE six-part series entitled "Using the CASIO 9850 G+ with the Algebra SOL".
- Technology Sparks, Ideas for Teachers: Integrating Technology with the Virginia Standards of Learning (PDF) – resources and suggestions for incorporating technology into the Virginia Standards of Learning (SOL) middle school core curricular subjects.