News & Announcements
Mathematic Vertical Articulation Tool (MVAT) – 2016 SOL
The Mathematics Vertical Articulation Tool (MVAT) – 2016 provides support in identifying concepts aligned to the 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning (SOL) that articulate across mathematics grade levels or courses. Different formats of the MVAT are available for use as an instructional or remediation planning tool.
Algebra Readiness Remediation Plans and Formative Assessment Items – 2016 SOL
- Algebra Readiness Remediation Plans -2016 are aligned to 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning (SOL) and serve as sample remediation plans that teachers and Algebra Readiness Initiative teachers and tutors may use in providing intervention or remediation with their students. These plans are organized by strand concept and each plan may be aligned to one or more mathematics SOL spanning grades 4 through 8.
- Algebra Readiness Formative Assessment Items - 2016 are aligned to the 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning (SOL) and serve as sample formative assessment items that teachers and Algebra Readiness Initiative teachers and tutors may use in assessing student learning after student remediation. These items address the content strands of Number and Number Sense, Computation and Estimation, and Patterns, Functions and Algebra and may range from grades 3 through Algebra I.
Mathematics Instructional Plans (MIPs)
Mathematics Instructional Plans (MIPs) – 2016 SOL, formerly known as Enhanced Scope and Sequence Lessons, and Co-Teaching Mathematics Instructional Plans – 2016 SOL, providing suggestions utilizing six common co-teaching approaches, are now available
Online Calculator in Revised Mathematics Standards of Learning Tests Beginning in Spring 2019
Beginning with the spring 2019 test administration, the revised Standards of Learning assessments measuring the 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning that are administered online will include access to an online calculator from Desmos within the secure online test delivery software, TestNav. Refer to Superintendent’s Memo #144-18.
Change in 2016 Mathematics SOL Implementation Timeline
VDOE Mathematics Coordinator Tina Mazzacane discusses the recently announced delay of the introduction of state math tests based on the 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning until spring 2019. More information in Superintendent's Memo #043-18.
End-of-Course Mathematics SOL tests administered in the fall of 2018 will continue to assess the 2009 Mathematics Standards of Learning and include field test items measuring the 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning. For updated implementation timeline and additional information, go to Superintendent's Memo 043-18.
- Standards of Learning and Curriculum Frameworks
- Mathematics Instructional Plans (MIPs)
- Test Blueprints
- Practice Items
The Mathematics Standards of Learning identify essential academic content at each grade level for sequential learning. The content of the mathematics standards supports the following five goals for students: becoming mathematical problem solvers, communicating mathematically, reasoning mathematically, making mathematical connections and using mathematical representations to model and interpret practical situations.
Professional Development Resources
VDOE continues to provide professional development for school divisions and teachers to support the implementation of the Mathematics Standards of Learning. School divisions and teachers are encouraged to utilize the professional development resources to improve student achievement through quality instruction.
- 2017 Mathematics Standards of Learning (SOL) Institutes - VDOE provided professional development for school divisions and their teachers to support implementation of the 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning and Curriculum Framework. VDOE professional development resources support the use of high leverage mathematics teaching practices.
- 2009-2014 Mathematics Standards of Learning (SOL) Institutes - VDOE has provided targeted professional development through Mathematics Institutes since 2009. These institutes focused on the 2009 Mathematics Standards of Learning and were framed by the five process goals for students of becoming mathematical problem solvers, communicating mathematically, reasoning mathematically, making mathematical connections, and using mathematical representations to model and interpret practical situations.
Mathematics Instructional Resources
In addition to the standards, curriculum frameworks, test blueprints and released tests, other instructional resources include:
- Algeblocks Training – online training for teachers who either need an introduction to the use of Algeblocks or need to reacquaint themselves with the manipulative
- Algebra Readiness Initiative – information to prepare students for success in algebra
- Co-teaching Mathematics Instructional Plans (2016 SOL) – These plans utilize the six common co-teaching approaches, and contain suggestions as to how co-teachers can effectively utilize the expertise of each teacher to enhance lessons and activities in a co-taught classroom. These co-teaching plans were created and modified by a select group of Virginia teachers participating in the Excellence for Co-teaching Initiative. These plans align instruction with the expectations of the 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning, and were vetted by VDOE content and special education specialists.
- Instructional Videos for Teachers – videos provided as support for the implementation of the Virginia Mathematics Standards of Learning
- K-3 Mathematics Achievement Sample Records – Schools maintain a record of achievement in mathematics for each K-3 student to monitor progress and to promote achievement on third-grade SOL tests. This record accompanies a student who transfers to a new school
- K-5 Mathematics Module: Number and Number Sense (Aligned to 2009 SOL) – module designed to enhance teachers' content knowledge and their use of instructional strategies for teaching the number and number sense strand
- Mathematics and Science Partnership (MSP) Resources – Videos and curriculum products such as lesson plans, developed as part of Virginia MSP projects.
- Mathematics Capstone Course Information – Guidance documents and links to instructional resources
- Mathematics Instructional Plans (2016 SOL) - formerly known as Enhanced Scope and Sequence Lessons, are now available for Grades K-8, Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, and Algebra, Functions and Data Analysis. These instructional plans include updated 2009 documents, as well as newly developed instructional plans aligned to the 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning. The Mathematics Instructional Plans assist teachers in aligning instruction with the 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning by providing examples of how the knowledge, skills and processes found in the SOL and Curriculum Framework can be presented to students in the classroom.
- Mathematics Vertical Articulation Tool (MVAT) – This tool provides support in identifying concepts aligned to the 2016 Mathematics Standards of Learning (SOL) that articulate across mathematics grade levels or courses.
- Mathematics Vocabulary Word Wall Cards (K-8, Algebra I, Geometry, AFDA, and Algebra II) – provide a display of mathematics content words and associated visual cues to assist in vocabulary development.
- Virginia Animals and their Habitats (Aligned to 2009 SOL) – A model comprehensive, cross-curricular second-grade unit that addresses 40 grade-two Virginia Standards of Learning in science, mathematics, English, and history and social science.
- Virginia Kindergarten Readiness Program - a multi-dimensional kindergarten readiness assessment that complements the existing assessment of students’ literacy skills, using the Phonological Awareness Literacy Screening (PALS), with assessments of students’ early mathematics, self-regulation, and social skills.
- The purpose of the VKRP is for school divisions and the Commonwealth to have a more comprehensive understanding of students’ critical school readiness skills at kindergarten entry. Schools, divisions, and state leaders can use readiness data to prioritize individual student needs and target programs, resources, and professional development opportunities for teachers.
- In 2018, the Virginia General Assembly passed legislation that requires all kindergarten students be assessed using the VKRP by the end of the 2019-2020 school year and annually thereafter (HB5002, Item 128, H.).
Technology & Mathematics Resources
- Texas Instruments – Education Technology
- Casio Education
- Geogebra – graphing utility and geometry tool
- National Library of Virtual Manipulatives
- NCTM Illuminations (some content intended for teacher use may be restricted to NCTM members only)
- Illustrative Mathematics
Mathematics Update Email
Teachers, administrators and mathematics coordinators are encouraged to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to receive the VDOE Mathematics Update distributed by the mathematics office. Copies of recent emails are available as Word files.
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM)
- National Council of Supervisors of Mathematics (NCSM)
- Virginia Council of Teachers of Mathematics (VCTM)
- Virginia Council for Mathematics Supervisors (VCMS)
- Virginia Council of Mathematics Specialists (VACMS)
- Virginia Math and Science Coalition (VMSC)
- Presidential Awards for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching – The Presidential Award for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching (PAEMST) is the highest recognition that a kindergarten through 12th-grade mathematics or science teacher may receive for outstanding teaching in the United States.