Standard Diploma Credit Accommodations
The Board of Education has approved Guidelines for Standard Diploma Credit Accommodations for Students with Disabilities to provide alternatives for these students in meeting the requirements for a Standard Diploma. Please direct questions about credit accommodations to the Office of Special Education Program Improvement (804-225-3252) in the Division of Special Education and Student Services.
Credit accommodations provide alternatives for students with disabilities in earning the standard and verified credits required to graduate with a Standard Diploma.
Credit accommodations for students with disabilities may include:
- Alternative courses to meet the standard credit requirements
- Modifications to the requirements for locally awarded verified credits
- Additional tests approved by the Board of Education for earning verified credits
- Adjusted cut scores on tests for earning verified credits
- Allowance of work-based learning experiences through career and technical education (CTE) courses
Resources to assist special education directors, division directors of testing, school counselors, and Individualized Education Program (IEP) teams are available:
Guidance on the Use of Credit Accommodations
- FAQ: Additional Guidance on Credit Accommodations for Students with Disabilities May 2014 (PDF)
- Guidelines for Standard Diploma Credit Accommodations for Students with Disabilities-This is a Word document.
- Use of the Virginia Modified Achievement Standards Tests (VMAST) for Eligible Students with Disabilities served under a 504 Plan (PDF)
- Use of the Virginia Modified Achievement Standards Test (VMAST) and the Virginia Substitute Evaluation Program (VSEP) for Students with Disabilities pursuing the Standard Diploma with Credit Accommodations or the Modified Standard Diploma – Superintendent’s Memo 117-14
- Virginia Substitute Evaluation Program Score Ranges for Locally Awarded Verified Credits for Students with Disabilities Eligible for Credit Accommodations – Superintendent’s Memo 253-14
- VSEP Cut Scores and Score Ranges (PDF)
- Credit Accommodations at a Glance (Word)
- Personal Living and Finances (3120) course materials, used as a credit accommodation, are available through the CTE Resource Center. This course may be used in lieu of Economics and Personal Finance (6120) for eligible students.
Comparison of Credit Requirements
While credit accommodations provide alternate pathways and flexibility, students receiving accommodations must earn the 22 standard credits and six verified credits required to graduate with a Standard Diploma. In contrast, only 20 standard credits and 0 verified credits are required for the Modified Standard Diploma.
|Comparison of Credit Requirements:
Standard Diploma vs. Modified Standard Diploma
|Subject or Course||Standard
|History & Social Sciences||3||1||2||0|
|Health & Physical Education||2||0||2||0|
|Foreign Language, Fine Arts or Career & Technical Education||2||0||1||0|
|Economics and Personal Finance||1||0||0||0|
|Board-approved career or industry credential||Required||Not Required|
|Virtual course||Required||Not Required|
Credit accommodations are not available for the Advanced Studies Diploma.