Foreign Language Academies
News & Announcements
2018 Governor’s Foreign Language Academies
Status notices for the 2018 Governor’s Foreign Language Academies were mailed to all applicants and nominating teachers on April 13, 2018.
- An email with a link to a required Acceptance Form was sent to the registered email of address of all students who were accepted to the Academies as an Invitee or Alternate.
- Students who received an acceptance letter but did not receive the email link should contact Avis Scarborough by phone at 804-225-2877 or by email at Avis.Scarborough@doe.virginia.gov.
- Invited students must accept or decline their invitations by April 27, 2018. After this date, unclaimed slots will be reallocated to waitlist students.
Since 1987, VDOE has sponsored Governor's Foreign Language Academies, summer residential programs for Virginia's most motivated and talented foreign language students. As of 2017, more than 8,750 students have completed one of the programs. The 2018 Governor's Summer Residential Foreign Language Academies will include full-immersion academies in French, German and Spanish; a partial-immersion Japanese Academy; and a Latin Academy.
No English Allowed! – Three 2013 Governor's Foreign Language Academies were the subject of a feature story on WVTF, the public radio station based in Roanoke, VA. Listen to the WVTF report - No English Allowed!
2018 AcademiesApplications & Resources
All application materials (except for online testing) must be completed and postmarked no later than January 26, 2018. Student status notices for the 2018 Academies will be sent in mid-April. See the sections below for applications and information about specific language Academies.
- Applications for Governor's Foreign Language Academies – forms and instructions for the student nomination and application process as well as staff and teacher observer applications
- Verification Reports
- Order form (Word) – for the 2018 Foreign Language Academies Online Testing Codes
- Private school Request for SSWS Access-This is a Word document.
- You may also be interested in Summer Residential Governor's Programs
- Foreign Language Academies Purpose & Background
2018 Full Immersion Academies – French, German & Spanish
June 23-July 14, 2018
Washington & Lee University in Lexington, VA
2018 Partial Immersion Academies – Japanese and Latin
June 24 – July 15, 2018
Randolph-Macon College in Ashland, VA
For the full-immersion academies, all functions, from brushing one's teeth in the dormitory to class discussions to going swimming or on field trips, contribute to the academy purpose. Each academy is uniquely designed by its staff. Elements of a student's day in a language academy may include:
- Wake-up, breakfast
- Classes, such as:
- The economics of Latin America
- The unification of Germany
- Life in France seen from an economic perspective
- Great works of art
- Literary samplings
- A second language (Arabic, Korean, Greek, Russian)
- Another class (or two)
- Creative activities, such as:
- Journal writing
- DVD production
- Sports, games
- Films, music, theater, student and faculty talent presentations.
STARTALK foreign language programs
- In addition to The Governor’s Foreign Language Academies, there are other summer opportunities for foreign language students and teachers available through the federally-funded STARTALK programs. The availability of the STARTALK programs is dependent on annual grant funding. For information about STARTALK programs operating in Virginia and elsewhere, please visit the STARTALK website.