News & Announcements
December 3-9 is National Computer Science Education Week
Schools are encouraged to participate in a variety of activities to inspire students to further study computer science. For more information regarding activities and schedules, visit CS Education Week 2018.
Free Computer Science Professional Learning Opportunities Offered by Oracle Academy
Courses in Java Foundations, Intermediate Java Programming, Java Fundamentals, Database Foundations, Database Design and Programming with SQL, and Getting Started with Java Using Greenfoot will be provided. Prior computer programming experiences are not required for participation in any of the courses. Refer to the Winter Open Class Training Schedule-This is a Word document. for course descriptions, dates, and an interest survey. The deadline for registration for these courses will be January 1, 2019.
Updated Computer Science Course Codes
The newly developed Computer Science courses for Middle and High school have been assigned course codes. Details regarding the updates to Computer Science course codes can be found in Superintendent's Memo 263-18.
Computer Science Resources
- Computer Science Teachers Association (CSTA)
- Expanding Computer Education Pathways (ECEP) Alliance
- 2016 Virginia Acts of Assembly Item 138, page 117 – Information regarding the funding appropriation related to computer science training and infrastructure
- CSTA 2017 K-12 Computer Science Standards
- K12CS Computer Science
- Breaking the Code on a Career in Cybersecurity Video Series – The Virginia Space Grant Consortium has developed a new, free video series that provide background on the importance of cybersecurity in our computer and data-driven world. Read the April 18, 2017, press release (Word) for more information.
Contact Timothy Ellis, Computer Science Specialist, by email or by phone at 804-225-3489 with questions about Computer Science. Questions about the Computer Science Standards of Learning can also be sent to VACSStandards@doe.virginia.gov.