Microsoft Imagine Academy Program
News & Announcements
Announcing 2018 Microsoft Computer Science Workshops
Two regional hands-on training workshops as follows:
- April 30 – 8:30 a.m.- 4 p.m.
Virginia Beach registration
Advanced Technology Center
(located on Tidewater Community College Campus)
1800 College Crescent, Room H170
Virginia Beach, Virginia 23453
- May 2 – 8:30 a.m.- 4 p.m.
Roanoke Training registration
Roanoke County Public Schools Administrative Office
5937 Cove Road
Roanoke, Virginia 24019
Please refer to Superintendent's Memo #056-18 for more details.
Virginia Student is First EVER from United States to Win Microsoft World Championship
John Dumoulin, a 17-year-old varsity baseball player, Eagle Scout, and Future Business Leader of America (FBLA) member from Forest Park High School, Prince William County, Virginia, became the first American to ever take home the World Championship Excel trophy at the Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) World Championship event hosted by Certiport and endorsed by Microsoft. John’s Career and Technical Education courses have included Computer Information Systems; Advanced Computer Information System; Design, Multimedia and Web Technologies; and Economics and Personal Finance. Through the Microsoft Image Academy provided by the Virginia Department of Education, John has amassed nine Board of Education approved credentials—eight in Microsoft Office Specialist certifications and one in W!SE financial literacy. Read the entire article-This is a Word document. (Word).
Classroom and online learning, hands-on labs and access to hundreds of courses, books and cutting-edge resources are available for Microsoft Imagine Academy-participating high schools. These resources help prepare students for Microsoft certification and enhance their resumes with credentials recognized by employers around the world.
Using “Teach It, Test It”, teachers certify students at the completion of each application unit while the material is fresh on their minds, which will lead to the highest score possible. Higher test scores are advantageous as a confidence builder for students and an opportunity for the teacher to challenge students to pursue a MOS Master certification.
More than a single certification, the MOS Master certification demonstrates an overall comprehension and deep expertise in Microsoft Office programs. It requires passing four exams:
- Word Expert,
- Excel Expert,
- PowerPoint, and
- either Access, Outlook, SharePoint, or OneNote for the fourth exam.
With the flexibility of the Microsoft Imagine Academy curriculum, students can self-study applications and accumulate multiple certifications.
Advantages for Students
The Microsoft Imagine Academy concept was developed to bridge the gap between education and the real-world by providing students with the IT skills they’ll need for college and a career in today’s technology-centered job market.
Advantages for Teachers
Through Microsoft Imagine Academy, teachers have access to professional development resources for success in the classroom, as well as curriculum for technology courses and student learning tools.
- Virginia’s Priority Courses Mapped to Microsoft Imagine Academy Resources (PDF)
- CTE Newsletter
- Custom Certification Site for Virginia
- Microsoft Imagine Academy Member Website
- Microsoft Educator Network Share Site
How to Get Started with the Imagine Academy Program
- Certifications (PDF)
- Computer Science Career (PDF)
- Learn It. Prove It (PDF)
- Stand Out From the Crowd (PDF)
- Three Areas of Study (PDF)
- MOS and MTA Exams Mapped to Career Clusters (PPT)
- MOS Exams Mapped to Key Job Roles (PDF)
- Microsoft Imagine Career Poster (PDF)
- Microsoft Imagine Academy Datasheet – Building the Workforce of Tomorrow, Today (PDF)
- Certification Datasheet – Optimize Program Effectiveness (PDF)
- Certification Roadmap Poster (PDF)
- Certification Website
- Student Flyer – Create Your Future (PDF)
- Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA) Certification Student Flyer (Word)
- Digital Literacy and Free Microsoft Education Resources (PDF)
- Certification Q&A (PDF)
- Skills Requirements for Tomorrow's Best Jobs: Helping Educators Provide Students with Skills and Tools They Need (PDF)
Where are the Microsoft Imagine Academy participating high schools/centers in Virginia?
The map illustrates the location of the 365 Virginia high schools/centers offering a Microsoft Imagine Academy and certification testing center.