Through the use of leadership funds, the state provides opportunities throughout the commonwealth for professional development, technology and technical assistance, and state and regional networks of literacy centers.
Virginia Adult Learning Resource Center (VALRC)
The VALRC at Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) serves over 3,500 of Virginia's adult education administrators and practitioners annually. As a division of the Literacy Institute at VCU, the VALRC assists in the Institute's research and development projects and disseminates research-based best practices to the field. The VALRC offers on-site training sessions, web-based workshops and courses, a website that serves as a clearinghouse of adult education resources, a toll-free GED help-line, a listserv open to all adult education professionals, a quarterly newsletter, three monthly electronic newsletters, and a wide variety of printed and online publications.
Recorded Video Tutorials for Adult Educators
- Adult Education in Virginia 2018-2019 – This recording shares the participant demographic and performance data reported by Virginia for program year 2018-2019.
- Reporting Statewide Business Services, 2019-2020 – October 2019
This recording describes the requirements of programs to report how they are serving businesses in the Commonwealth.
- 2019-2020 Adult Student Profile Document Overview – September 2019
This video describes the elements and requirements of the 2019-2020 Adult Student Profile Document, which must be used for all adult education student intake.
- The Role of Data in Program Design – March 2019
This video discusses the relationship between data and program design in adult education.
- Adult Education in Virginia 2017-2018 – November 2018
This recording shares the participant demographic and performance data reported by Virginia for program year 2017-2018.
- WIOA Common Performance Measures - November 2018
These three tutorials describe the WIOA common performance measures, how they are defined in the law and guidance, how they are collected and reported for title II.
- Reporting Career and Training Services - April 2018
This video reviews the Directors Memo #018-19, Revisions to Career and Training Services Reporting Guidance-This is a Word document. discussing how adult education program should track federal funds spent on these services.
- Integrated Education and Training: Technical Assistance Kick-Off - September 2017
This video discusses the elements and requirements of the Integrated Education and Training (IET) program model under title II of the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act.