Virginia Department of Education Publications
- Celebrate Life – A Guide for Planning All Night Alcohol/Drug-Free Prom and Graduation Celebrations (PDF)
- Creating Community Service Opportunities for Suspended and Expelled Youth: A Final Report on Virginia’s Experience (PDF)
- Guidelines for the Development of Policies and Procedures for Managing Student Behaviors In Emergency Situations in Virginia Public Schools (PDF)
- Inhalant Abuse Prevention: Staff Education and Student Curriculum (PDF)
- Model School Crisis Management Plan (PDF)
- Virginia School Search Resource Guide (PDF)
- Pandemic Influenza Plan Guidelines (PDF)
- Student Conduct Policy Guide (PDF)
- Suicide Prevention Guidelines (PDF)
KIDsafe Virginia Publications Available
KIDsafe Virginia lessons for students and accompanying parent guides.
- Personal Safety Lessons - For students in kindergarten through 4th grade
- Crime Prevention Lessons - For high school students
- Parent Guide to Personal Safety for Children
- Parent Guide to Crime Prevention for Teens
Now available for downloading at the Governor’s Office for Substance Abuse Prevention website.Getting to Outcomes 2006 Now Available Online
The GTO-04 manual is specifically designed to help any agency, school, or community coalition interested in improving the quality of their programs aimed at preventing or reducing drug and tobacco use among youth.
The manual's text and worksheets-organized as ten accountability questions-address: needs and resources assessment; goals and objectives; choosing best practice programs; ensuring program "fit;" capacity, planning, process, and outcome evaluation; continuous quality improvement, and sustainability.
The model presented in the manual is meant to be a best practice process-prescriptive, yet flexible enough to facilitate any prevention program. Although originally aimed at preventing youth drug and tobacco use, it may also be useful for prevention efforts targeted at other youth behavior problems such as crime, teen pregnancy, or delinquency. In addition, policymakers will also find the manual useful-it is well suited for use as an organizational framework for entire substance abuse prevention systems.
The U.S. Department of Education has developed this guide to provide schools and communities with basic guidelines and useful ideas on how to develop emergency response and crisis management plans. Hard copies of the guide will be available in 6-8 weeks and can be ordered then from ED Pubs.