Every Student Succeeds Act
The Every Student Succeeds Act of 2015 (ESSA)-This is a PDF document. was signed into law on December 10, 2015. ESSA amends the Elementary and Secondary Education Act and replaces No Child Left Behind. The Board of Education approved its plan to implement ESSA at its July 2017 business meeting. The final version was approved by the U.S. Department of Education in May, 2018.
- Word - ADA Compliant Version-This is a Word document.
- PDF Version-This is a PDF document. - includes signatures
- Letter of Approval from U.S. Department of Education
- Mathematics Waiver Request – Letter of Approval from U.S. Department of Education
Under ESSA, Virginia will identify schools for comprehensive or targeted support and improvement using a multi-step process that includes multiple indicators.
Virginia’s State Plan Development Timeline
The following list is hidden to sighted users and is specifically to be used for assistive technologies. In summary, it is the Federal Requirements Timeline
- ESSA Signed into law December 2015
- ESSA@doe.virginia.gov opens for public input March 2016
- Stakeholder feedback July 2016 through August 2017
- Proposed rules released May 2016
- Final regulations released November 2016
- Public review of plan June- July 2017
- Submission of state plan to USDOE September 2017
- Implementation of plan fall 2018
- All ESSA provisions go into effect fall 2018
- ESSA State Plan Steering Committee-This is a PDF document.
- List of Stakeholder Meetings-This is a PDF document.
- ESSA Survey Report-This is a PDF document.
- Consolidated State Performance Reports – describe progress toward meeting the goals of ESEA