Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (Cares) Act
The CARES Act was signed into law on March 27, 2020. The CARES Act includes a $30.75 billion education stabilization fund with three components: an Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief (ESSER) Fund, a Governor’s Emergency Education Relief (GEER) Fund, and a Higher Education Emergency Relief (HEER) Fund.
CARES Act ESSER funds are emergency relief funds intended to address the impact that COVID-19 has had, and continues to have, on elementary and secondary schools in Virginia. CARES Act ESSER funds can be used for a wide variety of programs and activities. The Virginia Department of Education has recommended that consideration be given to the funding priorities below:
- Supporting remote learning through educational technology, including hardware, software, connectivity, assistive technology, and adaptive equipment;
- Supporting the diverse needs of all students during school closure and when students return to school, which may include mental health services and supports, provisions for meal distribution, and services allowable under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act;
- Planning for and implementing extended learning and summer learning; and
- Maintaining operations and continuity of services, including continuing to employ existing staff to the greatest extent practicable.
Memorandum from Virginia State Superintendent to school division superintendents:
- CARES Act Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief Fund Division Allocations-This is a Word document. - Superintendent’s Memo 110-20
- MEMO 110-20, Attachment A: Additional Required Special Terms and Conditions for Grant Awards or Cooperative Agreements-This is a Word document.
- MEMO 110-20, Attachment B: CARES Act Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief Fund Division Allocations-This is an excel spreadsheet.
- MEMO 110-20, Attachment C: CARES Act Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief Fund Terms of Grant Award-This is a Word document.
- MEMO 110-20, Attachment D: CARES Act Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief Fund Allowable Uses of Funds-This is a Word document.
Virginia Department of Education CARES Act Staff and Assignments
- The CARES Act-This is a PDF document.
- Frequently Asked Questions about the Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief Fund (ESSER Fund)-This is a PDF document.
- Providing Equitable Services to Students and Teachers in Non-public Schools under the CARES Act Programs-This is a PDF document.